Which bullets give you fits abd which ones work awesome in your long range hunting rifle ?

dgr416

I have a bunch as in 8 ruger 338 win mag rifles and my 338-378 which give me fits picking out good bullets .My 264 win mag ruger 77 is even worse .I tried nosler Accubonds in the ruger 338 it's a no go they shoot 4 to 6 inches .They hate all hornady bullets .I tried Barnes they won't work .I have not tried Berger bullets but with this short magazine and the throat they probally won't work either . They do work with every speer bullet I tried and I have the bullet that's supose to be the best bullet of all the 275 grain speer 338 but I will have to put on a muzzle break to use it from recoil .I just shot a .25 inch clover leaf with some speer bullets at 100 yards and I have shot a bunch of .75 groups at 200 yards with speer bullets .They are probally 350 or 400 yard bullets .It will shoot old Winchester bullets in a clover leaf at 100 yards too .
My 264 is even worse it shoots one bullet good the rest won't fit .It shoots clover leaf groups with that bullet too .I want some longer range bullets with these rifles .I think they could shoot easy to 600 yards if I had the right bullet.I think they will have to be rethroated to do so .
My 338-378 weatherby is picky but not as bad .It hates hornady bullets .I am going to try 225 grain Accubonds in it .It has freebore but a short magazine .I was wondering if they guns y'all have are this picky too .My cheap 260 rem savage will shoot any bullet I put in it except a few .

Wow that's the opposite of my experience, I have gotten .5 MOA easily with Eld-X bullets but my 300 WSM just refused to shoot Hammer bullets or Factory Federal TBLR well at all. I tried loading Woodleigh as well and the ELD-X shot better by quite a bit.

Hey, I have yet to get any caliber ELD-X bullet to shoot well. Tried them in various calibers and weights. So far they are a no go. These are guns that all have at least a couple different loads that group under MOA
How are you loading? What powder and caliber?

Have had good luck with ELD-X's in 300wm and 308 here.

Accubonds did ok (1" moa) with my 338 Lapua, I gave up on Hornady after I had 2 deer not drop with great shot placement and had to shoot a 2nd time (they group perfect just will not kill). I have found my go to bullet for hunting in everything is SWIFT Scirocco II they like a .005 jump to lands and will group 1/2 moa in my 338, 308, 7mm and 7mm/08.

I have tried NABLRs in 6.5mm 142 and 7mm 175, and have never had good luck in numerous rifles.
The 6.5mm 143 ELD-X has been hit or miss. Either the rifle is a cloverleaf gun, or a scatter gun. No in between.

I want to try more lapua bullets they work in every rifle I try them in .I wish they made a long range hunting bullet .My .338-378 loves nosler partitions .It has shot 1 inch groups at 300 yards with 250 grain partitions .I am going to see if it will shoot 225 grain Accubonds

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.