Which bullet?

If it was me I wouldn't worry about 10" difference between bullet weights at 1,000' with a 10 mph wind because i am not shooting anyway.
Some of you guys keep using 28 Nosler numbers, real world 7 mag numbers theres 5" difference between the 180 and 195. You better be d$$$ good at calling that difference at 1,000 and 10 mph wind.

Last edited:
The greatest attribute of the heavies is forgiveness with your wind call. Drop is almost irrelevant as we all dial anyway. Hard to give this up to a lighter bullet. Not bashing Hammers, I love an shoot them in multiple cartridges, but for long range, heavies matter. In this case 20" is a big difference.

1000 yards with 10 MPH wind:

195@3050 = 43.6"/4.2 MOA
180@3150 =46.6"/4.4 MOA
169@3300 =65.2"/6.2 MOA
Absolutely! I 100% agree with you. Wind is a guessing game and forgiveness is your friend! I won't mess with a stuff wind and long range hunting though. 500 is my max with a stiff cross wind.

I had a rifle built and plan on using it for deer and elk. It's a 7mm Mag on a Deviant Action, Proof barrel (1-8.4 twist) with .188" freebore. I'd like to stick with load for all my hunting. Which bullet do you recommend for both species and for all distances?

Berger 175 gr Elite
Berger 180 gr Hybrid
Berger 195 gr Elite
I shoot the 180 Hybrid out of my 28 Nosler, devastating on game farther than you'll probably want to shoot.

The greatest attribute of the heavies is forgiveness with your wind call. Drop is almost irrelevant as we all dial anyway. Hard to give this up to a lighter bullet. Not bashing Hammers, I love an shoot them in multiple cartridges, but for long range, heavies matter. In this case 20" is a big difference.

1000 yards with 10 MPH wind:

195@3050 = 43.6"/4.2 MOA
180@3150 =46.6"/4.4 MOA
169@3300 =65.2"/6.2 MOA

Absolutely!

Drops are easy with a bit of leg work, computer programs are not good enough...wind is always the bugger.

Lastly, I want an exit hole and for me the test of bullets is on elk. They're big enough and tough enough to be a good test especially as the ranges go longer....and for me that's out to 700.

Wind over 5 mph forget it unless the games fairly close.

The biggest thing I've noticed about the lighter bullet mono concept is that you give up penetration on elk. Plenty enough to get into the lungs but not to exit quite often.

Used 180 vld's for years in my 7mm's and for some others I load for on friends ranch. Probably over 60 elk total between several rifles. Sometimes they work good, sometimes they don't. Lots of bloodshot if too close and pencil at further distance. Typical of Berger's. Started using Nosler 175 ABLR in 7mm and 210's in 30 cal about 3 years ago. They worked for us from 30 to 720 yards with exit's and lots of blood in the chest cavity and no bloodshot. Even thru the shoulders. None went very far if at all. I wont go back. Driving them from 2960 to 3040, depending on rifle. I've tried 7mm bullets from 140 to 195, and I like the 175 best.

Absolutely!

Drops are easy with a bit of leg work, computer programs are not good enough...wind is always the bugger.

Lastly, I want an exit hole and for me the test of bullets is on elk. They're big enough and tough enough to be a good test especially as the ranges go longer....and for me that's out to 700.

Wind over 5 mph forget it unless the games fairly close.

The biggest thing I've noticed about the lighter bullet mono concept is that you give up penetration on elk. Plenty enough to get into the lungs but not to exit quite often.

This is posted by someone who apparently has not used Hammer Bullets.

I've had a lot of success with the 180 vld from my 28 nosler. That said, it scares me a little bit at close distances on elk. As such, I took the 169 hammer hunter to Africa last week to test terminal performance and was very impressed….although I don't like it near as much as the Berger at 700+ yards.

if I had to pick 1 for all distances it would be the 180 vld, but I'd be very careful on shot placement inside 200 yards on big animals.

I've had a lot of success with the 180 vld from my 28 nosler. That said, it scares me a little bit at close distances on elk. As such, I took the 169 hammer hunter to Africa last week to test terminal performance and was very impressed….although I don't like it near as much as the Berger at 700+ yards.

if I had to pick 1 for all distances it would be the 180 vld, but I'd be very careful on shot placement inside 200 yards on big animals.
I bet the hammer would fulfill the 700 yd range for 99 percent of most hunters then the close range impact isn't a factor

I bet the hammer would fulfill the 700 yd range for 99 percent of most hunters then the close range impact isn't a factor
Agreed. Inside 200 is a lot more common than 700 plus. Thankfully I have good loads worked up for both and will choose my bullet based on the animal and type of terrain I'll be be hunting. My best suggestion would be two bullets, but the OP asked for one bullet for all distances. With elk on the menu, that's a really tough call.

Agreed. Inside 200 is a lot more common than 700 plus. Thankfully I have good loads worked up for both and will choose my bullet based on the animal and type of terrain I'll be be hunting. My best suggestion would be two bullets, but the OP asked for one bullet for all distances. With elk on the menu, that's a really tough call.
Just for currosity did you shoot anything at or past 700 yds with a hammer and if so what were the results

Just for currosity did you shoot anything at or past 700 yds with a hammer and if so what were the results

Just steel. Had a lot more trouble with the consistency past 700 from the hammers. That being said, I didn't have time to verify BCs and just went with Hammers estimates. I knew that my wife wasn't going to shoot past 500 so I didn't worry about her gun. I took the 214 hammer and the 215 berger for my 300 PRC. Ballistics were crazy similar to 400 yards and the then higher BC berger started showing better a significant performance improvement. As luck would have it, all of my shots were inside of 150 yards.....and hammers worked as advertised.

Just steel. Had a lot more trouble with the consistency past 700 from the hammers. That being said, I didn't have time to verify BCs and just went with Hammers estimates. I knew that my wife wasn't going to shoot past 500 so I didn't worry about her gun. I took the 214 hammer and the 215 berger for my 300 PRC. Ballistics were crazy similar to 400 yards and the then higher BC berger started showing better a significant performance improvement. As luck would have it, all of my shots were inside of 150 yards.....and hammers worked as advertised.
Great appreciate the honesty

Recent Posts