Which bullet?

I had a rifle built and plan on using it for deer and elk. It's a 7mm Mag on a Deviant Action, Proof barrel (1-8.4 twist) with .188" freebore. I'd like to stick with load for all my hunting. Which bullet do you recommend for both species and for all distances?

Berger 175 gr Elite
Berger 180 gr Hybrid
Berger 195 gr Elite
To your point, I been fortunate enough to take well over 100 hooved game animals with 195s from 40" eland last week in Botswana to small Columbia Whitetail in Oregon. As stated do your part and the 195 will do it's either at 2800 or 3000…they won't know the difference. Good luck and happy hunting.

you Hammer fans are definitely loyal customers. I'm sure they are great, but I can't get passed them being lighter than what i am wanting to use

I'd be lying if I said I don't pay attention to the BC of a projectile im considering for distance .I mean who doesn't? SD directly affects how well a bullet penetrates and the same factors that enable a bullet to penetrate well ((bullet shape / cross sectional area) is also what give a bullet the ability deal with drag (retain velocity better) as it's on its way to the target: So it does give you an idea" or a ball park of how it performs at a given velocity and specific environmentals. Yes it changes. It can go up or it can go down depending on your muzzle velocity and environmentals but I've never had to change the listed BC by a massive amount. VLD's don't turn into Core Locts. Up or down .020-.030 to get it to true up and that's at sea level, but then again I typically don't do short barrels either. 24-26" . Regardless, it isn't target shooting so there's other factors to consider. Ie terminal performance..

I've heard some folks speak Highly on an ELDMs performance and then others say the opposite and that basically covers most of them. I've heard the same about VLD's, SMK's also. And the Barnes etc etc etc.

Not the case with the Hammer's. What I've gotten from everyone here that has actually used them is outstanding accuracy to atleast 500 and possibly a good deal further, depending on what range you're rifle falls below xxxx velocity. It's excels in terminal performance with zero negative experiences and reduced meat loss,'so long as you base your shots off the recommended minimum velocity of that projectile. The only folks I've seen that may have a negative viewpoint on them regarding hunting, are people that haven't used them yet.

So you'd have to be a "special" kind of stubborn to disregard that much positive feedback on a bullet you've never used, based solely off a hypothetical number on a box (BC)

I'll 100% give em a shot

Last edited:
I'd be lying if I said I don't pay attention to the BC of a projectile im considering for distance .I mean who doesn't? SD directly affects how well a bullet penetrates and the same factors that enable a bullet to penetrate well ((bullet shape / cross sectional area) is also what give a bullet the ability deal with drag (retain velocity better) as it's on its way to the target: So it does give you an idea" or a ball park of how it performs at a given velocity and specific environmentals. Yes it changes. It can go up or it can go down depending on your muzzle velocity and environmentals but I've never had to change the listed BC by a massive amount. VLD's don't turn into Core Locts. Up or down .020-.030 to get it to true up and that's at sea level, but then again I typically don't do short barrels either. 24-26" . Regardless, it isn't target shooting so there's other factors to consider. Ie terminal performance..

I've heard some folks speak Highly on an ELDMs performance and then others say the opposite and that basically covers most of them. I've heard the same about VLD's also. And Barnes etc etc etc.

Not the case with the Hammer's. What I've gotten from everyone here that used them is outstanding accuracy to atleast 500 and possibly a good deal further, depending on what range you're rifle falls below xxxx velocity. It's excels in terminal performance with zero negative experiences and reduced meat loss,'so long as you base your shots off the recommended velocity of that projectile. The only folks I've seen that may have a negative viewpoint on them regarding hunting, are people that haven't used them yet.

you'd have to be a "special" kind of stubborn to disregard that much positive feedback on a bullet you've never used, based solely off a hypothetical number on a box (BC)

I'll 100% give em a shot
Well said, bro.

I've shot the 180's, 195's and 169 Hammers out of my rifle. Killed with all of them.

Here's the numbers that can just aid in your decision. They all kill well IMO. The hammers are the only bullet that will consistently give you an exit hole (if that matters to you).

195's 82gr. N570 @3050 FPS .39 G7 bc
180's 86gr. N570 @3130 FPS .355 G7 bc
169 HH 88gr. N570 @3300 FPS .26 G7 bc

They all max out at for an ethical expansion at 1200 yards at 8000' elevation in each scenario. Bergers at 2000FPS and the Hammers at 1800FPS

Last edited:
I've shot the 180's, 195's and 169 Hammers out of my rifle. Killed with all of them.

Here's the numbers that can just aid in your decision. They all kill well IMO. The hammers are the only bullet that will consistently give you an exit hole (if that matters to you).

They all max out at for an ethical expansion at 1200 yards at 8000' elevation in each scenario. Bergers at 2000FPS and the Hammers at 1800FPS
28 Nosler?

I had a rifle built and plan on using it for deer and elk. It's a 7mm Mag on a Deviant Action, Proof barrel (1-8.4 twist) with .188" freebore. I'd like to stick with load for all my hunting. Which bullet do you recommend for both species and for all distances?

Berger 175 gr Elite
Berger 180 gr Hybrid
Berger 195 gr Elite
160 grain Nosler partition

We've been testing hammers to replace our lead free ammo that is currently using Barnes lrx (availability issues).

We deal with a lot of suppliers, so far or interaction has been to notch. We've made it through most of the cartridges, precision is stellar.

We're going work on some lr performance testing, and then check some terminal performance.

I'm hopeful we've found a new supplier!

Interesting, run 3100 FPS all day long with 195/RL33 26" Brux barrel…I back it down to 3025ish…but may at 7000' MSL that the difference. Have tried it multiple times at FTW in Texas. I must be pulling trigger harder😂
I think skip is referring to 7 RM loads while your reference point is the 28 N.

The greatest attribute of the heavies is forgiveness with your wind call. Drop is almost irrelevant as we all dial anyway. Hard to give this up to a lighter bullet. Not bashing Hammers, I love an shoot them in multiple cartridges, but for long range, heavies matter. In this case 20" is a big difference.

1000 yards with 10 MPH wind:

195@3050 = 43.6"/4.2 MOA
180@3150 =46.6"/4.4 MOA
169@3300 =65.2"/6.2 MOA