Which bullet?

I had a buffalo soak up two 260gr Partitions with little sign of being hit. Both shots landed just behind the shoulder and below the centerline of his chest.
The big buffalo fell over when he felt like it. Both bullets were caught in the hide on the opposite side and mushroomed as advertised.
Somehow, a fragile bullet doesn't seem like the best choice for such tough animals.

The .45-70 I shot, didn't make it past center line. It was recovered from the heart. So, I would still contended that a properly expanded modern bullet, would match, or exceed performance of a solid. I know there are a lot of factors involved, but I'd still recommend, "what the rifle likes to shoot and what the shooter has the most confidence in." They are tough critters, that's for sure.

Attachments

• 20180525_213546.jpg
    20180525_213546.jpg
    711.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20180525_213526.jpg
    20180525_213526.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 71
That maybe true but bullets that are known to frag or have thin jackets i.e. typical unbonded lead core same as a berger. Comparitively, a solid will, almost with exception, penetrate deeper that any expanding jacketed bullet. There is a reason solids are used for cape buffalo and elephant head shots. They want deep deep penetration and rely mainly on bullet diameter for damage. If there is any chance of hitting bone, such as the shoulder, then it will be very doubtful of a single shot clean kill. Broken shoulder and muscle damage would be my guess. You want to get into the lungs and heart or a brain shot.

Its a reason I asked about likely engagement distance.

In all likelihood the hunt will go fine with the berger and if its a good shot and he has confidence in it all the better. But if I was startting from a clean slate that bullet contruction would be close to the bottom of the list for a bullet I would choose for heavy boned and muscled, thick hided large game.

What is the difference in velocity, inertia/force imparted to the game, in regard to modern expandable v. vintage solid? I've always heard that 2200, is the magic number.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.