Which bullet?

Dosh

My friend is going on a buffalo hunt on a private ranch in June. He's taking his 300 Win Mag. It is very accurate with 215 Berger Hybrids. I have 200 gr Accubonds As well as 200 gr Partitions. Your choice and why?

If his is accurate with the 215 Hybrids, I wouldn't change it up right before a big hunt.

Buffalo are thick-skinned and should have no problem making that 215's jacket open up. Make sure the tips aren't clogged before the hunt. I do that with every brand of HP hunting bullet I use.

I have a box of 220 Partitions looking for work.

"Generally" the folks I know that have done it "brained" them. If that's the plan, either of the 2 you mentioned will work.

I've used the Accubond, and been happy with them.

I agree with Mudrunner. If he already has a load he knowns the drop and wind andnd its accurate; placment is the most critical factor. If not the deep penetration tough bullets are the order of the day. Look what is used om Cape. Projexted distance for the shot is also something to take into serious account. Is this a likley 100 yd encounter or 300+ etc.. millions of buffalo were taken with cast lead non-expanding slugs so its relative.

I used Black Hills Ammunition, .45-70, 405gr FPL. So, I would think any modern bullet would meet or exceed the performance of that round. I agree with, "Use what works in the rifle and what you're comfortable with."

Thanks for the replies. He's into the 215's and I think he can place the shot well. Just hope they work well for him.

I used Black Hills Ammunition, .45-70, 405gr FPL. So, I would think any modern bullet would meet or exceed the performance of that round. I agree with, "Use what works in the rifle and what you're comfortable with."

The thing with the heavy non-expanders is you know almost with certainty you are going to puch a near 1/2" hole thru where with these soft jacketed bullets roling at high vel they can come apart and not leave a good deep wound channel let alone two holes to let blood out and air in.

I have a box of 220 Partitions looking for work.

"Generally" the folks I know that have done it "brained" them. If that's the plan, either of the 2 you mentioned will work.

I've used the Accubond, and been happy with them.

Were it my hunt I'd do the brain shot also. However many private hunts won't allow head shot in fear of the Hunter not only killing the buff, but knocking off a horn in the process resulting in the hunter demanding a shot at another animal.

I killed a big bull buffalo 2 years ago with a 7mm 180 Berger Hybrid. One shot at a little over 600 yards. He stumbled a few steps forward and crashed. The shock that the Hybrid put through the ribcage and shoulder of the bull was very impressive. I would trust the Hybrid and run with it. As long as the bullet is placed well the buffalo will not present a problem for it. The 30 cal 215 Hybrid is a good sized projectile and will do the job very well.

Were it my hunt I'd do the brain shot also. However many private hunts won't allow head shot in fear of the Hunter not only killing the buff, but knocking off a horn in the process resulting in the hunter demanding a shot at another animal.

I hadn't heard that before.

Most of the American bison were slaughtered with cast lead bullets and black powder cartridges like the 45-70; the 300 Win mag with a 215 Berger will have no problem.

If his is accurate with the 215 Hybrids, I wouldn't change it up right before a big hunt.

Buffalo are thick-skinned and should have no problem making that 215's jacket open up. Make sure the tips aren't clogged before the hunt. I do that with every brand of HP hunting bullet I use.

100% agree with this.

I hadn't heard that before.

Yes, encountered the private ranch "guide" in Cloudcroft, NM asking all hunters not to take head shots. They had clients blow off a horn and demanding another animal to shoot. Hence their policy changed to heart/lung only. Personally I like the behind the ear shot if possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.