Which bullet to choose?

Last edited:
Good day everyone

Sorry but I'm looking for advice once again. Well we are still in the Covid-19 virus and still shipment is slow. So for the last year or 2 we don't really get Nosler Accubond 180gr and my 300 Win Mag just love that bullet. So I want to find out from the guys that reload 300's are which bullet do they think are the better one? To keep in mind the range we hunt is at 70% at 100yards, 20% at 150 yards and 10% at 200 yards.
The bullets that we do get here a lot are as fallow:
Sierra Gamekings 180 gr
Hornady ELD-X 200gr
Berger Elite Hunter 185 gr
Berger VLD Hunter 190 gr

I'll be waiting for your reply because here's a debate going on and no real solution.

Thank you
Berger 190 vld my choice

Sierra Game King or Game Changer...accurate, deadly and cost effective. Any of those should work shorter than 200 yds so you don't need that blended ogive and high BC or special effects for expansion. I haven't drank the kool-aid on spendy Hammer bullets or the "explosive" effects of Berger, and have several disappointments with ELD-X. Other favorites, Barnes and Nosler.

To keep in mind the range we hunt is at 70% at 100yards, 20% at 150 yards and 10% at 200 yards.
Any of those will work but none that you listed are the "best option" (subject, I know) for those high velocity, close range shots. You're much better off going with whichever of these your rifle shoots the best: Partition/Accubond/Hot Cor/Grand Slam/etc.

Botha, daar is baaie mense in Windhoek die jou sal wijs! Vir die bosveld is die 300wm nie mooi nie maar met 180/200 nosler partition sal jou bok vinnig omval. Groetes.

I'm new to reloading I went with barns ttlx I wanted a good hunting bullet that gives good Penetration and I don't wanna eat lead

One more vote for the Hammer Hunter bullet. I order them online and have them in hand in a matter of days. That's faster than finding time to run to the store in my book, and they shoot lights out in my rifles.

Good day everyone

Sorry but I'm looking for advice once again. Well we are still in the Covid-19 virus and still shipment is slow. So for the last year or 2 we don't really get Nosler Accubond 180gr and my 300 Win Mag just love that bullet. So I want to find out from the guys that reload 300's are which bullet do they think are the better one? To keep in mind the range we hunt is at 70% at 100yards, 20% at 150 yards and 10% at 200 yards.
Sierra Gamekings 180 gr
Hornady ELD-X 200gr
Berger VLD Hunter 190 gr

I'll be waiting for your reply because here's a debate going on and no real solution.

Thank you

Why offer bullets the OP cannot get? Seriously.

Botha, Sierra Gamekings have a long history of good performance.

As for the Bergers I've only heard good things but have not used them yet. Will try them out this fall on deer. And I would avoid the ELD-X.

Hope this helps and stay safe

Good day everyone

Sierra Gamekings 180 gr
Hornady ELD-X 200gr
Berger VLD Hunter 190 gr

Thank you
I am going to Nosler partition 180 grain. Elk on horizon.

If all my shots were 200 yards and in i would shoot a bullet where angles dont matter.

Hammer, cutting edge or maybe barnes.

Nosler partition
Yeah what he says. I wouldn't use any of the bullets listed by the OP. Cup and core bullets are too soft and "pick your shot carefully" may not happen at those ranges. Go monolithic or controlled expansion and you can take any reasonable angled shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.