Which bullet for elk?

I AM a reloader, so I'm not an authority on factory loads, however, in a 7MM mag, any load featuring a Nosler partition, Swift A frame, Woodleigh, TBBC or Barnes X bullet will work fine for elk.. It's more an isssue of which load shoots best in your rifle..

For that matter, the Remingtom Corelokt is an excellent game bullet in it's own right..That bullet in 175 grain would be a good choice if it groups well for you...

Thought I would provide an update. Both of us shot 6x6 bulls. My dad made a perfect shot at 338 yards. Below is the 168 VLD (7mm RM) recovered just inside the opposite shoulder's skin. Attached is the recovered bullet.

Attachments

• IMG_6883.jpg
    IMG_6883.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6882.jpg
    IMG_6882.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 124
All true. However, pick one one of those cartridges and you will have to pass on many shots and if you do make a mistake like humans tend to do, you have a wounded suffering animal on your hands. We have plenty of options today and are not starving. Maybe Wy guys shoot better, but from what I see on public land in Mt. I have to recommend a bazooka! LOL
You are correct, people using these lower power rounds are not shooting long range, shorter range helps ensure accurate killing shots.
Like others have said there are a lot of Elk walking with a limp, I will agree but it has a lot to do with people shooting past their sure hit range.
That is why fair chase dictates the animal must have an escape route, getting close helps reduce the animals wounded, we can not eleminate wounding as we are all human but we must do our best to.
I personally do not hunt with a .243, .23-35, .30-30 or .32 WSPL but could employ them all to harvest any critter I am hunting, love stocking in close.
I should hope most hunters use enough gun to cleanly take our animal, it is a choice of calibers we all must make.

I will be shooting my 300 RUM. My dad is going with me and only has a 270 so he will be shooting my 7mm. I know a .30 would be better, but I don't have another .30. Just asking opinions on the 2 bullets. Thanks for those who replied.

I have used Hornady SST with really good success in my 264 WM. Which is only slightly smaller than 7mm. I have shot 7 elk with them. Most times put a golf ball sized channel all the way through the shoulder. At different ranges 200-400 yds. Now my latest with 300 RUM and 210 Berger hunting, put a slightly larger hole in shoulder and didn't exit, but he dropped like a rock at 400. I really like the 210, I can put 1/2" or less groups on target at 100 and .98 at 300 (when I can do it) however a muzzle break or some kind of recoil reduction is good! There are a lot of good bullets to choose from "as has been said before". Use the one that performs best in your rifles

I have used Hornady SST with really good success in my 264 WM. Which is only slightly smaller than 7mm. I have shot 7 elk with them. Most times put a golf ball sized channel all the way through the shoulder. At different ranges 200-400 yds. Now my latest with 300 RUM and 210 Berger hunting, put a slightly larger hole in shoulder and didn't exit, but he dropped like a rock at 400. I really like the 210, I can put 1/2" or less groups on target at 100 and .98 at 300 (when I can do it) however a muzzle break or some kind of recoil reduction is good! There are a lot of good bullets to choose from "as has been said before". Use the one that performs best in your rifles

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts