Which bullet for elk?

160 partition will work but it needs to be behind the shoulder . That's what I used yrs ago on my first bull . I learned though true elk rounds start with .300 it's just that simple
I can not count all the Elk, Mule Deer, and Moose killed cleanly in Western Wyoming with .243's, 25-35 .30-30, 32WIn.
It is all about shot placement and bullet performance, but mainly shot placement.
Elk are tough but a quality bullet put in the right spot is the ticket.
During the depression there was one rifle for a community to use for winter meat, it happened to be a Win 94 in .25-35.
They killed everything with it cause there were no gun writers saying it can not be done.
Shot placement is key to success!

Partitions must hit a bone or they most likely won't expand.
That isn't necessarily true but without hittin something hard getting them to exapnd beyond caliber size is inconsistent at best.

The jacke may well start to peel back and expand but due to the heavy taper of the jacket stop well before the partition.

At very high velocity they tend to simply shred everything in front of the partition and pencil through.

I can not count all the Elk, Mule Deer, and Moose killed cleanly in Western Wyoming with .243's, 25-35 .30-30, 32WIn.
It is all about shot placement and bullet performance, but mainly shot placement.
Elk are tough but a quality bullet put in the right spot is the ticket.
During the depression there was one rifle for a community to use for winter meat, it happened to be a Win 94 in .25-35.
They killed everything with it cause there were no gun writers saying it can not be done.
Shot placement is key to success!
All true. However, pick one one of those cartridges and you will have to pass on many shots and if you do make a mistake like humans tend to do, you have a wounded suffering animal on your hands. We have plenty of options today and are not starving. Maybe Wy guys shoot better, but from what I see on public land in Mt. I have to recommend a bazooka! LOL

Last edited:
The great thing about these forums is the variety of opinions which we encounter for every question asked or statement made. Agreement may not always be an assured occurrence, many may find a reason to disagree, mostly through personal experiences.

I would hate to be the bearer of the statement above to all those moose hunters in Scandinavian countries who choose the 6.5x55 or to those of us here in the US hunting elk every year that our cartridges of choice below .30 caliber just won't work for elk!:eek: What do I do with all those elk I killed with the 6.5 RSAUM? Or the 6.5-06 AI or the .280 AI or the rest of the other cartridges successfully used to fill my tags? Bringing them back to life is kinda out of the question. ;)

Regards.
And for 1500 years Native Americans used sharp sticks and rocks, and charged herds of buffalo. That does not mean I am going to try elk hunting with a sharp stick!!! The Scandinavians used what they had to, to put meat on the table, and to save meat and ammo they more than likely were at close range and used the best shot placement that they could.

Last edited:
And for 1500 years Native Americans used sharp sticks and rocks, and charged herds of buffalo. That does not mean I am going to try elk hunting with a sharp stick!!! The Scandinavians used what they had to, to put meat on the table, and to save meat a ammo they more than likely were at close range and used the best shot placement that they could.
Closer to 15,000 actually.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/when-did-humans-come-to-the-americas-4209273/

Thousands of bow hunters still are.

Go with the Berger. I have trusted it with Elk, Big horn, Barbary, Mule Deer, Moose, Oryx, and many a unfortunate coyote.. The Berger has not let me down so far..
Lots of choices out there on todays market.. Pick one, and keep killing stuff until it doesn't perform.. Good luck on your hunt.

And theres a lot of elk walking around here with the ghetto limp! LOL I like using the BEST tool I can not just one that will work most of the time. Yes I bow hunt, sometimes, but only because Im not allowed to use a rifle in that season.
It doesn't much matter what you hit them with, if you miss the vitals that's the result.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts