Which Bullet For 284 Win In A Long Action?

AROKHUNTER

I need a little help. I'm going to build a 284 Winchester on a Remington 700 Long Action. I have a barrel on the way. Bartlein 5R with 8.5 twist. I need help deciding if I need to stay in the 160 grain to 168 grain cweight range, or move on up to the 175 grain to 180 grain weight. I intend to shoot white tail deer out to 1000 yards.

I'm wondering which exact bullets are proven performers, and proven failures.

Once I get the bullet figured out, I can determine the chamber specs so my gunsmith can order the reamer.

Any advice on a bullet choice would be greatly appreciated.

I've been liking the eldx line. No experience with the 7mm, but the 143, 200, and 212 have been accurate as hell

I have a .280AI that shoots the Berger 175 Elite Hunter @ 2975, and put down a 3 shot group @ 920+ of 2.9", and a 3 shot group @ 1365 of 6". I would say that is fairly good accuracy. I have yet to take anything with fur, as I just built it late last year.

My 7RM shoots the Berger 180 Hybrid at a leisurely 2996, but does so into a 2.2" @ 608 & 5.8" @ 1365. I shot my big bull elk with it last year @ 662, and the bull went 50 yards before piling up. Perfect shot in the crease while broadside, exit was about the size of a $.25. Lung Jell-O in the last 30 yards of the blood trail. His run could not have lasted more than 3 or 4 seconds.
Also took a cow elk @ 75 yards. Exit was the size of a racquetball. So the bullet holds up and works amazingly.
I load the 168 HVLD in my cousin and son-in-law's 7RMs too. They work just fine on deer and elk.

I am a huge fan of the .284 rounds and have tried about every brand of bullet out there through several chamberings. The one I have been most impressed with and used in all of my rifles is the Berger 180 VLD Hybrid. I have never personally witnessed a bullet do more damage or perform better on game. the 284 Win should run them plenty fast enough to get what you want out of the rifle. I would give them a hard look and try them. I hear really good things about the Hornady ELD line of bullets too. But my vote would be the 180 Berger.

When you run the 162 ELD against hypothetical velocities that particular cartridge can obtain with the big 7mm bullets. It becomes hard to beat out to realistic hunting ranges.

I run a .284 Win in a Savage 110 and in a Mauser 98; both are loaded to place the bullets ~0.012" off of the lands. For target work, I have used the Barnes 171 quite a bit, and have also used Hornady 162 HPBT. I've got some ELD-X, but haven't had time to load them yet. The 171s perform as well as I could ask for, and given the choice of using only one projectile for target work would be my pick. My barrels are 1:8.5 and 1:8, respectively, on the 110 and Mauser. 27".

For hunting, I use the LRX 145. I don't engage game at more than 500 yds due to our terrain.

If you were going with a short action and a 284 Win which bullet would you choose? This cartridge is really getting my attention lately- could be because I found a really sweet Savage 99 F in it and I want to build a new short action bolt gun :).

I appreciate all of the info. I have been reading up on field performance results with the Berger 180 Hybrid, and the results seem to be positive. I'm thinking that the 180 Hybrid is in the running of top bullet choices.

What do y'all think the minimum velocity at the muzzle would need to be for the Berger 180 Hybrid?

I am estimating my muzzle velocity to be approximately +/- 2725 FPS with the 180 Hybrid. That would be with a barrel length of 26 or 27 inches.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.