which budget rangefinder

SouthShot

I want to get a rangefinder for hunting out to about 500 yard and i'm on a pretty low budget of about $250
at the moment i'm considering the Nikon prostaff 3, leupold rx-600i, redfield 550 and the weaver laser rangefinder.
will they all spot deer sized game out to that range? if not, what's the furthest range you've spotted with it (non-reflective)
and are these all relitively accurate?
any input and opinions will be apprecated.

SouthShot

Last edited:
I have the Bushnell Arc 1000 which come with a free pair of binos from cabelas. Cost is $270 and I have used it out the 900 yars on elk in low light conditions. In bright daylight I can usually get reads on game out to 600-700 yards.

My lady just got me a Newcon Optik 1200, I haven't had it but for a few days so I really can't say to much about it I ranged it to 880yrds on the neighbors horses today, and on my own at 335 through the living room window. She paid 260 shipped, bought it new on ebay, and it's made in Canada.

had to start draining one of the city water tanks today, played with it a bit while I was up there, ranged the front doors of wallmart to 1501yrds, suprised me lol, it seems pretty good about ranging terrain, but it really doesn't seem to care much for stubble fields, not sure what the reason for that is though. Broz probably has a better idea.

If you can hold out and save a bit more the Vortex Ranger 1000 is a great way to go. It is a 1000 yard rangefinder, so typically with something like a deer you should be able to count on 500 yards, although it often ranges critters past that range.

It's compact, light, has a rugged belt clip, and features a rubberized body. It also comes with a standard carrying case for your belt and small strap for the Ranger itself.

It has fully multi-coated optics and features HCD (Horizontal Component Distance) for angle compensated ranging - The display is also in a nice bright red format making it really easy to read.

Sure, you're looking at about $400.00 for this rangefinder, but the features, ruggedness and quality are there. Plus Vortex offers their lifetime warranty on it, which not many companies due when it comes to products with electronic components in them.

We have them in stock if you are interested. Our website is down below in our signature - our contact info is on the website as well.

Thanks for your time, take care.

Shane

i can almost guarantee you what will happen. before long you will want to shoot farther and you'll need another range finder. it's why i have a Newcon 2000 that i would ship for 400. lol that's what SWFA said they would give me for it. if you want something that's good for 500, a 1000 yard rating is minimum.

I'll second the Bushy Arc 1000. I have one too and mine came with not only the bino's but a processing set (rip saw, gut hook and jacknife) that are actually sharp and the bino's are roof prism and not bad. Not Swaro's but not bad.

The range finder handles deer to 650 for me and larger stuff to 900 plus, plus it has a rudementary bullet compensation program built in. It won't do a 338 BDC but it handles the more common calibers including my go to 308.

We were at the range on Sunday sighting at 300 for our NM playtime and my hunting bud had his Leica and the Bushy acquired quicker and ranged right with the Leica, yard for yard, object for object. Had it 3 seasons now and still on the first battery.

I'm happy.

just watched the add for the bushnell arc, pretty impressive stuff with this angle compensation stuff, does the newcon have anything like that?

thanks guy's, i think i'll be going with the bushy based on all the good reviews it's got and the many features it boasts

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.