Which Break is the most effective?

Totch94

I have a lightweight custom 7mm RUM and a matching rifle in .338 RUM, I am looking to rebarrel the 7mm RUM with a little heavier barrel say in the .750-.850 range and I want the most effective break available for watching bullet impacts. The rebarrel job is for several reasons such as I want a little heavier barrel, Want a more effective break, and I want to have it throated for 180 VLDs.

If all works out well, I might rebarrel the .338 as well. I am currious what each of you may have to say on the topic.

Thanks,

Totch

I have a lightweight custom 7mm RUM and a matching rifle in .338 RUM, I am looking to rebarrel the 7mm RUM with a little heavier barrel say in the .750-.850 range and I want the most effective break available for watching bullet impacts. The rebarrel job is for several reasons such as I want a little heavier barrel, Want a more effective break, and I want to have it throated for 180 VLDs.

If all works out well, I might rebarrel the .338 as well. I am currious what each of you may have to say on the topic.

Thanks,

Totch

Totch,
"Most effective" may be difficult to say with authority.
My current favorite is Holland's Radial brake. I have it on 5 barrels, and it works great. Largest chambering is the 7mm Dakota.
I am soon to get a 338AX (338 Lapua Improved) and it will have Kirby Allen's PK (Pain Killer) brake. I am very interested to see how the PK works with the set-up I will be shooting.

Don't know about the most effective, but this Defensive Edga break makes my 338 Lapua shooting 300 grain SMK's kick seem like nothing

Picture052-1.jpg

The brakes listed are very good, and they all have one thing in common: They are built with integral baffles, not just holes around the periphery.

I have a DE on a 270 AM and a Holland QD on a 338 RUM. The AM is an LRH configuration and hte RUM is a sproter.

I can spot my shots with both from 200 yds on out with both.

I have been sold on the Holland brakes for quite a while and like Ernie, I think the new Holland Radial brake is awesome.

I have it on my 338 Lapua Ack Imp and it is a pussycat to shoot. It is also going on by 338 Big Baer (338-408) that is being built.

if there is one better, especially for the same money ($100), I have not seen it personally. However, lot of good brakes being made today.

If you do mind holes all the way around, the Harrells brothers brakes is way to go. Cost is under $30 as they mass produce them on CNC machines. you can find their link on BR central.

BH

I used to have a radial break on a 300 win mag I didn't like it to well because the muzzle blast blew back into your face. It managed the recoil okay I guess, I also shot a weatherby styl break on a 7mm mag and it had the same effect. I put a defensive edge break on my 300 RUM judging from what some of the guys told me on this forum and boy was I glad I listened my RUM kicks like a .243 with the 210 bergers and another plus is no blow back in your face Shawns break rocks as for my opinion I would take all of the radial breaks off for scrap metal and buy a defensive edge break with it :)

Bigbuck

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts