which brand?

hydehunter

looks like I will purchase my first can but am asking advice on these two brands that are local for me: the first is the Lane Scorpion King cost 850.00 and the other is the Varminter 4.0 from Dakota Silencer cost is 979.00. these are both .30 cal items so which one would you choose and why since I know very little about this thanks Jim

looks like I will purchase my first can but am asking advice on these two brands that are local for me: the first is the Lane Scorpion King cost 850.00 and the other is the Varminter 4.0 from Dakota Silencer cost is 979.00. these are both .30 cal items so which one would you choose and why since I know very little about this thanks Jim
I have a Lane Scorpion king and am very happy with it. It's well made, and very quiet. I have disassembled the Varminter 4.0 and it is also a very nice suppressor, and the fact that it can be used in the short version would be a advantage too. Either design will serve you well. It basically comes down to whether you prefer the K style baffles in the Varminter or the mono core in the lane. From what I hear the Varminter is a little quieter also

it will go from 204 Ruger up to 30.06 and once in awhile my AR223 the 4.0 is 35 dec and the Lane is 33 and the 4.0 can be shortened to 7" as the Lane is 8", now if the 4.0 is shortened to 7: won't that increase noise? and the 4.0 can be down to 10oz verses 13 for the Lane. thanks

it will go from 204 Ruger up to 30.06 and once in awhile my AR223 the 4.0 is 35 dec and the Lane is 33 and the 4.0 can be shortened to 7" as the Lane is 8", now if the 4.0 is shortened to 7: won't that increase noise? and the 4.0 can be down to 10oz verses 13 for the Lane. thanks
Yes the varminter will get louder as you shorten. But would be nice for a light weight hunting rifle to keep weight down or a 300bo pistol. Either suppressor will work very well for those calibers. One thing to keep in mind also is the varminter is rated for magnum calibers, you can get a lane that is rated for 300 win mag also but the length then goes to 9" and weight goes up also. I think if you buy the varminter you will find yourself picking one configuration (either long or short) and running that exclusively on a rifle because each time you switch from non suppressed, long version, or short version your zero will change and groups could tighten or get larger.

Wow, you guys are lucky, living so close to both Lane and Dakota!

The ATF approval should arrive any day now on my .223 Varminter.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts