Which brand... models?

wilkup

I'm in the information gathering phase of things right and am hoping to piggyback on everyone else's experiences/knowledge.
Purpose:
Long range bench/possible tactical match shootings
Distance:
600+
Mag Range:
2 at lowest, 15+
Brands in the running:
Burris, Bushnell, Leupold, Steiner, Vortex

What are your thoughts? Gut reactions to each of these brands? I'll be shooting with a 26 Nosler or something similar.

Last edited:
For your purpose and intended ranges, I would want more magnification. You can't hit what you can't see.

As far as brand, that is so subjective that I would not want to provide my opinion. There are enough of these around.

I agree with R.R...... pretty much a take your pick with your list that you provided. Maybe a little additional info. would help as well. Such as what your targets are and what your budget is? Shooting ground squirrels at 600+ yards is different than ringing 2' x 2' steel plates. Also, would there even be a remote possibility of ever extending your shooting range further? If so....then strongly consider more magnification.

For me....I have several scopes, from various manufacturers, in the 5-25X and 6-24X mag range. I've found these to be very flexible for MY multi-purpose use ( paper punching, varmint hunting and big game hunting in wide open country).....but this is just my opinion and isn't worth much.

Good luck in your search. Your list hits many of the popular picks...so I think you'd be happy with just about any one of them.

Wayne

Additional information...

This will be primarily for paper punching. (I just moved to Texas and one of the unfortunate things about this "country" is how little is public and available to enjoy... coming from the northwest where much of the stTes are open for the public.)
I don't need a rifle for hunting as I've been bitten by the archery bug and truthfully, there's not much chance for shots at long range where I am down here.
I have shot to 1,000 yards in the past with a 16x mag, but will definitely consider upping my mag range.
My price range is a little irrelevant because my job allows me significant discounts on the brands I've listed. What may make more sense is if I list the various models I'm considering and saying they're all within $450+/- of each other...
Burris XTR II 4-20x50
Bushnell ERS 3.5-21x50
Steiner T5XI 3-15x50
Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP

Well..for me....a quick day at the range works out really well with having 20+ power on the top end. I can leave my spotting scope at home. Really handy when I'm back and forth working up a load. Obviously that wouldn't work so well at 600+ yards unless you have much better eyes than I do. I will throw out to you.....Steiner TX5 now has a 5-25X that guys have been stumbling over to get. Maybe add that one to your list. Otherwise there have been positive posts about the Burris and I got a FFP Vortex PST within the last several weeks....haven't really used it much due to the crappy weather. I think it will be a really good performer for its price point. But like was said.....you've got a list of pretty popular scopes there. One last thought....see if your source can get you a Gen 1 Vortex Razor 5-20x. Most places have them discounted to a retail price of $1300-$1400. If you can get one below that.....you would have HD glass and a ton of features all in a package that would serve you for a very long time.

Wayne

After further research, I'm leanng hard towards a few based on price:

Burris XTR II 5-25x50
Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50
Bushnell ERS 3.5-21x50
Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50

If I could pick up that Razor HD for a better deal than either of these other options I'm sure it'd be worth it but it's significantly more expensive. I also did some more research and was seeing Bushnell shows up a lot in the competition circuits!

I've got a couple of Bushnell 4.5X-30Xs. One on a 338 RUM and the other a 300 RUM. The 338 has 600 rounds down the tube so the scope can take some shock. That gun will do .75" groups at 200 yards. The 30X really helps to aim small and hit small and you can see 30 cal bullet holes at 600 yards! I have a couple Vipers and a VX-6 plus some others. They are all good but if I had to give them all up but one, I'd keep the Bushnell as it will do anything from close to long.

... They are all good but if I had to give them all up but one, I'd keep the Bushnell as it will do anything from close to long.

Thanks for sharing that bit of information. Do you have any experience with the HDMR/ERS 3.5-21x50? Just trying to see how that stacks up. Currently, I really like the Bushnells from what I continue learning!

After further research, I'm leanng hard towards a few based on price:

Burris XTR II 5-25x50
Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50
Bushnell ERS 3.5-21x50
Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50

If I could pick up that Razor HD for a better deal than either of these other options I'm sure it'd be worth it but it's significantly more expensive. I also did some more research and was seeing Bushnell shows up a lot in the competition circuits!

I have the Veracity 4-20x50 FFP on my .270 AI and am very pleased with it.

Below is an optics SME's comment.

Originally Posted by bruce_ventura

I'll save you the effort of using the search key... The Veracity models are cheaper, and have better optics and reticles for hunting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura
...I recently tested the Burris XTR2 4-20x50. I liked everything about it except for color fringing on high contrast objects. I noticed this at the last SHOT Show and hoped it was due to the scopes being early production samples. Apparently not, because the XTR scope I tested was of recent production. The Veracity 4-20x50 does not have this issue. The scopes are made in different factories, so even if the optical designs were the same, the scopes could have differences. The Veracity FFP reticle design is very good. Use the reticle to hold over for quick shots under ~600 yds, and dial elevation for longer shots. The reticle has windage holdover marks on the crosshair.

Thanks for that info regarding the Verocity vs. the XTR II. I was just on the Burris sight and saw that they'll install tactical turrets on a hunting scope for $80! Pretty cool =)

Just found and read this article. After reading I'm almost inclined to go and buy the DMR with the G2 reticle immediately but will continue with learning everything I can.
I really like/prefer the G2 reticle George created compared to all the other options out there right now. I would have to learn mils but doubt it'd be too tough to figure out.

Check this out:
Tactical Scopes: Field Test Results Summary & Overall Scores | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

I read everything prior to the summary too of how he did all his testing, etc. This is an amazing, well executed test imho.

Just purchased the Bushnell G2DMR 3.5-21x50
Gonna be ordering an EGW 20MOA base and Warne Maxima low rings through SWFA in the next couple days probably.
The rifle it's getting mounted on is a Howa 1500 chambered in the 6.5 Sherman (which I was thinking of rechambering to 26 Nosler, but it appears the Sherman is superior). I'll get someone to post finished pics of the rifle/system when it's done.
Thanks for the help guys. It was good hearing that Bushnell wasn't "junk" and through the research it appears I'm getting a hell of a deal, considering it's said to be a bargain at the $1100 price point!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.