Which bottom metal for the 180Berger bullets?

Popapi

For my STW build was pondering on which bottom metal that would be sufficient for the 180 Berger and POSSIBLY the 195. Would the HS Percision be long enough? Or what would be a great hinged floor plate?

I recently spent a considerable amount of time shopping for bottom metal. I purchased a Dakota hinged floor plate from Brownells.

I am working on a 30 caliber not a 7mm STW.

The amount of room is determined by the magazine box you use. I used a Wyatt box that has a 3.825" inside length. Wyatt has a box that is longer than the one I used.

I'm building one now with the hopes of shooting Accubond LR or Bergers, both in 168-180 grain.

I went with a Wyatts and factory bottom metal on a 1968 model 700.

I have a question, does it really matter what the bullet weight is if they all have the same profile? For example, wouldn't a 168, 180 and 195 Berger VLD all be the same length depending on chamber demsions. The extra bullet length will be inside the case.

Perhaps I phrased that wrong. While the individual bullet lengths will vary by weight, wouldn't the OAL of the loaded round be the same? Regardless of bullet length the chamber dimension is constant. Therefore any additional bullet lenth would be taken up inside the case.

It'll be different as to where the bullet wants to set to be accurate. Unless you load everything to fit inside mag box, then essentially close to the same...if I'm understanding correctly.

As a rule the Berger's do not like a lot of "jump" into the riflings.

You are correct that the longer bullets as a rule will be seated deeper into the case than lighter bullets of the same type.

For bottom metal if you want to go with a DBM talk to PT&G or Wyatt's. Both make bottom metal and magazines long enough for the RUM cartridges and those will certainly be long enough for the STW. The followers are different though so you'll need to specify a standard belted magnum follower instead of a RUM follower to ensure best operation.

If you have a standard SAAMI chamber on a 7 STW and you you seat a Berger 180 gr VLD to touch the lands, your OAL is going to be about 3.850". I don't know anyone who makes a DBM that can hold a cartridge that long.

Not going detachable......going with a hinged floor plate with a 300winmag etc spring, box and follower. That Sunny Hill 510A aluminum floor plate is looking good being the rifle will have a Titanium action with McMillan edge stock!

I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay $400 for an aluminum floor plate. If you are ok with the price, it will probably be a nice part. The Sunny Hill stuff I've seen was really nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.