Which boomstick for Canada Whitetails?

lhp63190

Guys -- just sent my deposit in for a premium Canada whitetail hunt for November 2021. This outfitter is typically booked 3-5 years out but had a cancellation and I got the call. Now to the important question....which boomstick? A lot of the time will be spend in blinds but outfitter is open to some spot/stalk (longer shots) depending on how the hunt is going. Here are the options:

-- 300 PRC w/ Leupold Mark 5HD 5x25 Illuminated. Loads developed w/ 215 berger hybrid and 214 Hammer.
-- 28 Nosler w NF NXS 5.5X22 (not illuminated) Loads developed w/ 180 VLD and 169 hammer.

My gut says that I want to take the 28 nosler but thinking the Mark 5 scope w/ illumination might come in handy in the low light conditions that Canada is famous for.

Thoughts?

LHP

If your in the bush country sitting over an alfalfa bail most of your shots are inside 100 yds so something like a creedmoore or 270 would be my choice. If those are your only 2 options your way over gunned for that type of hunt, which isn't a bad thing necessarily. If your in the farmland and you have the ability to stretch out past 700 yds the 28. I hunted Canada last year with a 270 and 145 eldx. feel free to pm me with any questions. Best wishes

Personally I would take both good to have a backup. Is t the nxs illuminated? Anyways you will do great with either gun. Go with your gut feeling, either gun will kill a deer.

I thought all that model NXS were illuminated...?
Tough decision to have, I feel so sorry for you!😁 Take both and use the one you are more comfortable with for the particular situation.

I shot my Buck up there with a 300 ultra , 180 gr corlock at 39 yards . 20 years ago.
Just a factory Stainless 300 Rum Lss and a VX-3 3.5 x 10 x 50 .
Dropped it in its tracks !
Now I cant hunt with out one of my 338 's!
No bad choice in your Rifles !
My opinion would be what Rife do you grab first when the Safe opens !
Best of Luck to you !
Ps... " DONT" shoot the fist Buck you see unless is a Monster !

Rum Man

Thanks for the replies. Not switching scopes, too much work on custom turrets. I've taken multiple guns to Canada before for waterfowl but I prefer to only take one rifle.

Still leaning towards the 28 and taking both the VLD and Hammers.

I'll do some additional low light testing of the scopes to see how much difference there is but if anyone has any thoughts specifically related to the optics I'd be interested to hear.

Plenty of horsepower you got with your choices. I'm in Canada and you might laugh at what I use. I typically hunt tree stands and use a6.5x47 with 124 hammers. As mentioned I wouldn't over think it. Anything will work. Really depends on the type of terrain you will be hunting and shot distance. I also like using my 6 dasher with 105 hvld on doe hunts. I've hunted the states as well and don't think our deer are any harder to kill than yours. Enjoy your hunt and I hope you get a good one. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.