Which Big Bore cal for LR sport/hunting?

Porker

Hi All,

I have 1 more slot to licence a rifle at our club for Big Bore rifle class (sport shooting) and need advice on a cal. greater or equal to .375 H&H. This is
the minimum requirement, no exceptions.

I want to build a long range hunter/tactical with MOA out to 1000 yards to
kill 2 birds with 1 stone...

50 BMG and 416 Barret will be hard to license. The cal. should have bullets and
brass fairly easy available, even if I have to have custom brass made.

I seem to struggle finding a cal. greater than 375 that would do the job....:)

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. +1 on Kirby's 375. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! ....but what is a 375 AM/APS? Is there a link or site you can refer me to?

I pulled some tid-bits from some of Kirby's post as follows:

The 375 AM will push a 350 gr pill at 3250 fps from 143 gr of Retumbo and 3300 from 146 gr of Retumbo. With TTI cases, they will take alot more pressure then than Jamison a 350 gr SMK has been pushed up to 3445 fps with very practical case life, 5 firings per case.

Hopefully this will start to give you a comparison to the 375 H&H.

Thanks for the replies! ....but what is a 375 AM/APS? Is there a link or site you can refer me to?

Unfortunately, he does not have a website (at least not at the moment). He's very busy guy and best way to contact him is via e-mail ...

Allen Precision Shooting

Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

[email protected]

Good luck!

Ed

Guys...is the Allen magnum more or less an ackley improved 375 H&H? I'm from South Africa which means Allen wont be able to help me....I need to go the local route.

Thanks Rider,

To what distance will the 375 RUM and 378 Weatherby shoot MOA? Can they
be regarded as good "sniper type" calibre's at 1000 yards?

Thanks Rider,

To what distance will the 375 RUM and 378 Weatherby shoot MOA?
Can they be regarded as good "sniper type" calibre's at 1000 yards?

I can't answer the first question as I don't have any experience with either cartridge, and it would depend on how well the rifle was put together and on the ammo and shooter.

I can say that mine and my buddy's 375 H&H rifles will shoot into 1/2 moa using the Barnes 235 TSX and Varget powder at ~2900 f/s. Mine rifle is a Win M70 and his is a Sako.

For the second question I have no idea.

I'm afraid I haven't been much help. Sorry

No, the AM is not based on the 375 H&H case.
My suggestion would be to look at the 375 RUM or the 378 Weatherby if you want to be able to use store bought ammo and a standard magnum action.

+1 . The rum or an improved version will hold up to about 107 to 112 grains of powder.

The 378 weatherby will hold about 125 grains of powder, so with the right bullet you should
be able to do what you want,

Or look at the 416 Weatherby with some custom bullets.

All of these rounds can be very accurate and if you are a turret twister trajectory is not a
problem.

J E CUSTOM

Never heard of a Mach 5? but I will have to build a "disguise" sniper in the form of a hunting cal, or it wont pass....

so...will the 378 weatherby do the job at 1000 yards? won't shoot that flat...but not a concern if it's still accurate??

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts