Which Berger?

chad

Which Berger bullet? Classic hunter or the vld? Think I'm gonna try some in the 280 ai. Haven't been sold on them for hunting but keep hearing I need to use them in the 168 bullet weight. Just not sure if I should get the classics or the vld.

168 VLD's have worked wonders for me in my 7mm RemMag on deer. Haven't shot anything else with them yet to verify, but if I had to speculate, I would anticipate having the same excellent experience as I have had on whitetails.

Which Berger bullet? Classic hunter or the vld. Just not sure if I should get the classics or the vld.

I have used a lot of the VLD hunting bullets for paper, steel and game out of. 280AI. I have helped a number of guys to get the classics up and running in their rifles.

The bottom line between these 2 choices as I see it is the classics are very forgiving how far off the lands you seat them - with that said you give up a little in BC.

I have seen no difference in performance on game between either bullet. If you are shooting a factory barrel, I'd go with the classics, set them at .015 to .020 off the lands and never look back. If you have a custom tube and want to play the game of varying the OAL, then the hunting VLD would be choice for a slight overall gain in BC.

I shoot the 168 classic hunter in my Cooper 280AI. Shoots very good with 4831SC.

Which Berger bullet? Classic hunter or the vld? Think I'm gonna try some in the 280 ai. Haven't been sold on them for hunting but keep hearing I need to use them in the 168 bullet weight. Just not sure if I should get the classics or the vld.
chad,
168 grain Classic Hunter if magazine room is tight and magazine length is a must have. 168 VLD in neither of the first apply if you want. You will not be giving up any performance on the animal and only .007 of G7 BC. CLASSIC HUNTER is very tolerant of jump and easy to load tune for. Check out THIS WEBSITE for Eric's article on VLDS and making them shoot. Or on the Berger website under the INFORMATION TAB on the main page in TECH TALK . Hope this helps!

I would try the classic hunter had great luck with them in my 257 and 270 easier than the vld for sure. The 130 vldh shoots really well out of my 270 but there was a good bit of development involved.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I have not shot them, wife shot a buck last year with them and we never recovered it. And friends have shot elk with no recoveries. One buck shot with them I guided on. Cleaned the deer and I was not impressed with how the bullet did NOT perform like they said it would. But we did recover it so that was good.

I have not shot them, wife shot a buck last year with them and we never recovered it. And friends have shot elk with no recoveries. One buck shot with them I guided on. Cleaned the deer and I was not impressed with how the bullet did NOT perform like they said it would. But we did recover it so that was good.

Amazing the difference in results. I made the complete switch from a couple brands and design controlled expansion, "premium hunting" bullets after loosing the better part of two elk that took next day to recover back close to 10 years ago. I can honestly say we have not lost or even needed to track one animal since. We take 20 plus elk a year and several antelope and deer. My 300 win with the 215 Berger hybrid sits at 24 and zero for one shot kills on big game, mostly elk, 200 yards to 1300. Not one left the immediate area and no tracking. One thing I do insist on is that we use large for caliber bullet weights. I believe there needs to be enough bullet to fragment off some after expansion starts and still enough left to carry on. I have switched just about all of our 7mm's to 180's now, but we never had an issue with the 168's. Just a couple elk out there about 600 yards stood there longer than we like so we gave them a second one. The 180's do seen to do better in that department. But a 200+ gr. would be even better for elk. Just my thoughts and experience. I wish you the best. But scratch my head a little as to why you want to use them, when you are so skeptical. I guess I would advise you don't run the 168 over 3150 and if you place them reasonably well I doubt you will have any issues.

Good luck!

Jeff

Last edited:
I having been using Bergers since John Burns started making them popular with the general hunting crowd. Both my grown sons use them. I've got enough inventory to wear out multiple barrels. Wouldn't guess how many animals we've taken with the 168 hunting VLD.

With that said: They are not 100% full proof. Let's leave it at the fact that the bull elk is dead, I have the recovered bullet, and after many emails with the proper people - the end result is "chit happens so move on". Hopefully it will be many more years and carcasses before this reoccurs but I no longer will ever say that the critics have their heads up their backsides because there may be some truth in what they are saying. End of story.

I want to give them a try for myself.
Chad,
We do have animal targets available on our website under the HUNTING tab on the main page that have best bullet placement areas marked. These can also be printed out for practice. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

I having been using Bergers since John Burns started making them popular with the general hunting crowd. Both my grown sons use them. I've got enough inventory to wear out multiple barrels. Wouldn't guess how many animals we've taken with the 168 hunting VLD.

With that said: They are not 100% full proof. Let's leave it at the fact that the bull elk is dead, I have the recovered bullet, and after many emails with the proper people - the end result is "chit happens so move on". Hopefully it will be many more years and carcasses before this reoccurs but I no longer will ever say that the critics have their heads up their backsides because there may be some truth in what they are saying. End of story.
Cowboy & Broz,
Thanks for the kind words !

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.