Which Berger for rectory Sendero

sierracharlie338

Have a factory 700 Sendero in 264WM. Which BERGER would the brain trust suggest for this rifle. It will stay stock for a while before any cool upgrades (besides trigger) are done. I have 130HVLDs and 140 elite hunters at the moment.
Thanks

SC

I use the 135 Classic Hunters in mine. RE25 and CCI250 with win brass. This was the best combo I tried that would stabilize and it is very accurate. I do have a Jewell trigger.

The Sendero in .264 Win Mag has a 1-9 twist. The heaviest Berger you can use really depends on your altitude. I would settle on the 130gr VLD or the 135gr Classic Hunter as being the heaviest you can use. The 130gr AR Hyrbids would be my first choice as they have a very close BC to the 130gr VLDs, but they will stabilize better in the slow twist and the Hybrid ogive is more forgiving than a VLD. If you already have the 130 VLDs, then I would try them first.

The Sendero in .264 Win Mag has a 1-9 twist. The heaviest Berger you can use really depends on your altitude. I would settle on the 130gr VLD or the 135gr Classic Hunter as being the heaviest you can use. The 130gr AR Hyrbids would be my first choice as they have a very close BC to the 130gr VLDs, but they will stabilize better in the slow twist and the Hybrid ogive is more forgiving than a VLD. If you already have the 130 VLDs, then I would try them first.
That's kinda what I had been seeing for the twist rate which doesn't surprise me. Looks like I need to get some AR hybrids to play with also.

I entered a 140 vld into the berger stability calculator and it came back with 1.35 where 1.50 is fully stable. Berger list 1.0 to 1.5 as marginally stable.

I'm running a 230 berger at 2950 from a 10 twist. Berger shows it as 1.39 and I'm doing great to 600 yards.

I entered a 140 vld into the berger stability calculator and it came back with 1.35 where 1.50 is fully stable. Berger list 1.0 to 1.5 as marginally stable.

I'm running a 230 berger at 2950 from a 10 twist. Berger shows it as 1.39 and I'm doing great to 600 yards.
Yeah I've seen your results, pretty impressive ;)

Been shooting a 264 Win mag for a few years. If you are just target shooting it will be ok or if you are hunting and can be assured your shots are going to be over 200 yards on game then use a Berger. If you get a shot at game with the Berger at the high velocity of the 264 Win mag with a 26+ inch barrel at the closer range those things really come apart especially if shoulder bone is hit. I chose the Nosler 130 gr Accubond out of my 27 3/4" Shilen barreled 264 Win mag. With Retumbo it averages 3350 fps and even on shots as close as 25 yards it holds together and exits. It exhibits the same expansion results on deer the same at 25 as it does a touch over 500 yards so far for me. The Berger is a very accurate flat shooting bullet but they just destroy too much meat for my liking in every caliber I have shot game with them. But to each his own.

To make the 264 Win mag do it's thing you need 26+ inch of barrel and use SLOW powders like Retumbo.

I always shot the 140 HVLD out of my 9 twist 264. We hunt and shoot at 5000-9000 feet. Very accurate, absolutely lethal on a Deer and Elk, at all ranges from 50 yards to 650+

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.