Which Bases for shooting between 500yards and 1000yards

.25MOA

Hello fellow shooters i have a question for you, i am about to embark on my first long range shoot once i get this rifle finished. I do a lot of hunting but generally out to about 400 yards with my .308 BLR. My new toy is a RMINGTON SENDERO with a 8-32 BURRIS BLACK DIAMOND Mil Dot scope.....i havent got any rings or mounts yet because i haven't picked up the rifle yet. The Black Diamond has the Balistic marks on the lower vertical of the Plex to use for 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700 metres as you may be aware. So which base do i get ?? 0 MOA or a 20 MOA ?? Any help would be appreciated, thanx Guys......love ya forum... gun)

.25MOA,
This is from a post I did a month or so. It is under the "Equipment" thread. My setup is working great for me. Hope it works out for you also....

"I am cheap but my frugalness finally paid off and hopefully will be of some use to some of ya'll. I've been trying to get my Leupold 6.5-20X50 LRT (30mm) mounted as close as possible to the heavy barrel of my Remington 700P (7Mag), provide decent MOA and not spend $250.00! I've looked/scoured over the internet at every possible combination it seems. Mounts with built-in MOA are not cheap, especially if the manufacturer perceives it as "tactical". What a bunch of hog-wash.
For my Base I chose the Leupold 1-piece Standard Long Range Scope Base, Rem 700 LA Matte (595804). It cost me $24.99 from Midway and according to the literature it provides 20MOA. I had "gotten" away from the STD bases years ago because a Redfield unit that I was using on a Sendero .300WinMag sheared off one of the windage bases during load development. I figured at the time it must be a weak design but have since decided they are very sturdy and work well.
For my Rings I chose Burris 30mm Signature Rings Matte High, (165508). They come with synthetic posi-align inserts for -10, 0 and +10 offsets and cost $53.69. I used the -10 insert in the front ring and +10 insert in the rear ring to gain 20MOA more. I've used these rings before in the 1" variety, with the posi-align kit, and they worked great for building MOA in a .223 Rem that I used to own.
I originally ordered the Medium height rings but soon discovered they were too low. I called Midway and told them my mistake and they said "No problem, fill out the Return Merchandise Form (back of the shipping invoice), include the rings and they would make the swap". I have always liked Midway and I will continue to give them my business.
So for $83.12 I have effectively built 40MOA into my rifle/scope vertical alignment and lowered my scope as low as it can go. I have .0620" (5 business cards) between the barrel and scopes objective bell which is what I like."

Good luck. JohnnyK.

Now I don't have it together yet, but I bought the EGW 20 MOA base and the medium 30mm signature rings. I have a Burris Black Diamond 6x to 24x to go on it. Just waiting for my barrel to come back from Jim See at Centershot Rifles.
It is a 338 RUM Rem 700. it will have a heavy palma Broughton 30 inch tube with the muscle brake on it.
Tarey

Check out the bases and rings from TPS. I just bought their 20moa base and rings for about $130. They are steel, but they offer aluminum too.

Excellent guys, thanx for the helping hand....now i'm probably gonna sound a bit of a "Tard" but with the 20MOA base, what distance do i sight ZERO..................500m ??:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm sure other guys will chime in on this. I would say it's a personal preference. Is your gun only going to be used at 500 and 1000 yard matches? If this is a hunting setup, I would use a 100 or 200 yard zero then use my turrets to dial in distance.

I'm sure other guys will chime in on this. I would say it's a personal preference. Is your gun only going to be used at 500 and 1000 yard matches? If this is a hunting setup, I would use a 100 or 200 yard zero then use my turrets to dial in distance.

+1, I have a dedicated long range rifle that is set at a 200yrd zero.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.