Which base/ring combo for Sendero

Moman

Hey guys, I am putting together an order for rings and bases for a Sendero. Not sure which scope I will use but it will be a 30 mm tube and 50 mm objective. Most likely another Sightron SIII or Leupold Mark 4. I want to use a 20 MOA base but not sure what to go with and what rings will put the scope at the right height. The last one I set up was a Farrell 20 MOA with TPS medium rings and overall the scope is a little too high. Even if I switch to the low rings, it will be 3/8" or more too high. What are you guys using that sets the scope bell just above the barrel?

Also, this will eventually be a donor for an Edge sometime down the road. Do I need to worry about a heavier barrel and take that into account now?

I just ordered a EGW 20 MOA base and Burris signature rings for a 6X-24X-50mm Burris Black Diamond that I am putting on my 700 Sendero in 338 RUM.
Tarey

Extra high which gives you .455 in. from the bottom of the scope to where the ring bottom touches the top of the base. The high rings gives you .330 in.

Tarey

I used Burris one-piece base and Signature Rings on mine. I passed on the 20MOA base and used the offsets to cant the scope instead.

I *know* you've probably already thought about this, but just in case...... :rolleyes:

With higher bases/rings, it hugely important you are still able to have/get a solid cheek-weld and consistent, natural point-of-aim.

The tallest rings, within reason, are helpful b/c they ensure you will have barrel clearance, allow for more MOA adjustment outta your optic, and if you're needing shoot fast strings (rare in *most* hunting situations, but there are always exceptions), barrel-heat waves are diminished.

I don't know if it helps but I used the Mark IV base on my Sendoro and medium rings to mount a Leupold 6.5-20x50mm LR/T to my Sendero. So far I like the setup. With only a little over .25 clearance I can't see going any lower than that.

I don't know if it helps but I used the Mark IV base on my Sendoro and medium rings to mount a Leupold 6.5-20x50mm LR/T to my Sendero. So far I like the setup. With only a little over .25 clearance I can't see going any lower than that.

Mike, is that a MOA base? It sounds like a pretty decent setup. The scope on my 5-R sits .5 above the barrel. I could drop to a low ring and it would be about .35 above.

I did put a Blackhawk cheak pad on this and it's actually real comfortable to shoot, everything lines up nice, it's just that the scope looks too high.

It's a 20 MOA base. So far it's been a good combination. I'm just beginning to work up loads for it. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do.

.35 sounds about right for what I'm seeing.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.