Which barrel to use for caliber swap ?

Overkill338

I talked to a gun smith this morning about rebarreling my .300 RUM SF-II, and bedding the action. I just prefer the .338 bullets, so I'm having it switched to .338 Edge. I chose the Edge over the .338 RUM, for ease of forming brass, and I have plenty of .300 RUM brass. I want the Sendero contour, and 26" length. Shilen lists a barrel as Sendero contour, so I'm leaning that way.

Sounds good. The longer and fatter it is, the lower the recoil, especially the upwards force of the recoil. Have you thought about having a brake fitted or perhaps a suppressor to reduce recoil and aid accuracy?. I am a bit over big recoiling rifles these days, I have a couple that beat me sideways which I am these days tired of shooting. If I were to build them again, I would either go fat contour and 28" long or medium contour and stainless suppressed.

I would say go with at least a 27" if not longer barrel. If it's not a carry rifle, I would probably go with a 30" barrel. For a carry rifle, I would go 27-28", and the 5R rifling seems to be popular. Another thing to consider is the new high BC bullets coming out which might require a tighter twist if you're interested in them.

-Mark

Thanks for the replies guys. It's not a carry rifle. My carry rifle is a Ruger .338 Win Mag. The Sendero was bought for sitting over large cut corn fields around here. I wanted it for 400-500 yard shots. Which isnt much to most guys on this forum.

I have a couple of friends that are trying to convince me that I dont need a .338. Which if need is the base, then I dont need a .300 RUM to take deer, but I wanted one for just that :) I suppose the 200gr Accubond pushed over 3000fps is definetly stepping into .338 territory.

Sounds from your last post that it will be used sitting so +1 w/montanarifleman on a 30". No experience with 5R but, have heard some folks here have had some good results.

Need or not...I say go for the 338 and have yourself a ball.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.