Which barrel manufacturer to go with?

Bmccart

I have a rem 700 long action that I'm going to be buying a barrel for here soon. Thinking I'm going to go with a 257 wby, 1-7 or 1-8 twist, 26". Going to be a whitetail/muley/antelope gun. Who's the best barrel manufacturer to go with? Thinking about going with one of the pre threaded and chambered Shilen barrels. Any other suggestions?

Anybody that can run a barrel to the fourth decimal place is beyond good enough. Many outside of the manufacturing world do not understand exactly how impressive it is to have a barrel cut to the fourth decimal place when a human hair is ONLY three decimal places. Bad barrels happen. But those that understand the process realize you're 10 times as likely to screw up putting the a **** near perfect barrel on a morbidly out of spec action, screw up a bed job, or ream a poorly concentric chamber than you are to get a bad barrel from any of the top 5 to 10 barrel manufacturers.

Krieger, Hart, Shillen, proof, benchmark, Brux, lilja, Bartlein you name it. The name on the barrel is meaningless if you have someone booger up the rest. It's a component not a stand alone item.

Love my Lilja 26"in 7mm
DD8F8890-4E2F-40B0-BC7C-31A9325169C1.jpeg

There are many good, but not a clear best. Shilen makes a good barrel, readily available at Brownells, good price, satisfaction guaranteed!

Just something to consider....saves you $100 maybe.

If you buy a brand X, bring it to gunsmith Z and it shoots like crap, you will own it if the gunsmith decides he doesn't want to prove his work is good. This is a relatively rare case, I believe.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.