Which ballistics app?

I use my Kestrel/Applied Ballistics for competition ($700 bucks). I use Bullet Drop + for the most part for hunting, load development and steel out to 1500 yards 95% of the time. It costs $1.99. It will go out to 2000 yards with 5 yard increments in inches, moa and mils. However I use 1000yd/50yd increments. It is very, very easy to use and adaptable compared all of the other ballistic programs I have tried. The only negative I have found is it works only with iPhones or iPads. Best $2.00 I've ever spent. It can keep all of your pet loads in the app.
Also there is a free version if you play around with it.

I use strelok free. I have compared it to jbmballistics many times and it's always close. It has a whole lot of features considering its free, although the interface did take a little to get used to. 1,000 is really far for me, so I cant speak for really long range accuracy, but for 650 it should be just fine. You can type in the exact distance and get the specific drop, but to answer your question, you should be able to accurately approximate the number of clicks with a max increment of 50 yards between data points. If 600 is 40 clicks and 650 is 47 clicks, you can know that 630 is about 44 clicks, as an example I just made up.

Last edited:
Been using Shooter for several years and different rifles and loads with great results. Also at the yardages 600 & 650as mentioned, just split the difference, I do this with dope cards in 50 yd increments and have found it to work well

It seems like a lot of the PRS/NRL guys are switching to the Hornady 4DOF calculator. I downloaded it haven't used it yet. It's free. You should have a kestrel. I've been using the kestrel calculato app, I like it. In the past I was using or tried Strelok, isnipe, ballistics ae. If you have a kestrel I like the kestrel app best, then strelok. The 4DOF looks very promising. It can be very fine tuned. I guess it uses drag models rather than BC. Wherever that is worth.

BallisticsArc works great for me. Just plug in the bullet from a list, muzzle velocity and exact range. It gives you the precise setting in mils or MOA. I use it for PRS matches, as do others I shoot with. I started using it on their recommendation. I also have BallisticsAE and Hornady apps, but haven't used them, as I've been pretty satisfied with BallisticsArc. Top of the line is Kestrel, which gives you all the environment info, but that's a lot more money.

Last edited:
I have had Shooter(good), Strelok Pro(not a fan), I like Applied Ballistics. I am not sure if I am more familiar with it or what, it always comes through. It has one feature I do not care for and that is powder temp, it messes your velocities up bad, I just disable it before I calculate.
I am curious for your feedback here. I've been using it for airguns and rifles for a while and have been pretty happy so far.

What was it about Strelok Pro you did not like?

Shoot Straight!

StraightShooter77

I found that whatever app I use I end up having to tweak the ballistic coefficient in order to get the best match in long range groups. Usually start between the 500 yard target to the 900 yard one.

Last edited:
I find Ballistic AE Pro the best for me on my iPhone. Having no need for phone data is also a plus.

Cheers.

Another plus for strelok for me is that you can put in measured velocity and the ambient temp that it was measured at and it will take into account powder temp sensativity

Last edited:
Have a question for you more experienced shooters. If you have a scope that has MOA and you know what the MOA is for 600 and 650 in clicks, why would you even worry about a 633 yard MOA click....seems it would be rather insignificant from 650 yard MOA click? What am I missing?

Bullet flight, is a $12 app worth every penny, you can load as many guns as you want, any thing as long as you have all the info. It works down to the yard, angle, wind, direction, you must enter. the basic is free, the good one $12

All,

im finally able to shoot some reasonable distance at my house. I cleared out a 650 yard range. Before this I've only been shooting to 400 yards with hold over lines. Now I actually have rifles with MOA target style turrets. My question is I've been using some free software like jbm ballistic, but let's say you set the increments even to 50 yards, what do you do when you have an odd range to target. So for example, let's say you know you moa at 650 yards and at 600 yards How do you know what To dial For something which might be 633 yards? Are there programs where once I load my load information and weather conditions I can then type in my ranges yardage and it will give me back the MOA for that specific range instead of a giant table?
I own and play with many of them.

The APP I recommend is the AB Mobile App. It costs around 29$ to purchase app, but it is the same program resident to the Kestrel 5700 with AB.
The biggest advantage to the AB app (Applied Ballistics is the company owned by Brian Litz who is literally a former Rocket Scuentist and the chief ballistitian for Berger Bullets) is the ability to purchase Custom curves for your specific bullet for $1.99. Manufacturers will publish BC's for their bullets.

G1 - Think flat tail Spitzer
G7 - Think modern Boat Tailed Bullet (What want to use if not using custom curve)

Brian takes the bullets fires them in test rifles using Doppler Radar and from the derived empirical data calculates custom curves representing how the bullets perform in the field. Admittedly the bullet May perform slightly different in your rifle which would lead you to further tweak the ballistic curve out near the transonic regime to give you your own custom curve for the bullet in your rifle (something you can do in the Kestrel 5700). But, in my experience with all of my rifles the custom curves have been spot on to transonic and beyond.

In short for 29$ and a free barometer App (Station pressure) you can turn your phone into a kestrel minus the wind meter. (Think a Kestrel 5700 with Link sells for north of 600 just as an FYI)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.