Which ballistics app?

Bigeclipse

All,

im finally able to shoot some reasonable distance at my house. I cleared out a 650 yard range. Before this I've only been shooting to 400 yards with hold over lines. Now I actually have rifles with MOA target style turrets. My question is I've been using some free software like jbm ballistic, but let's say you set the increments even to 50 yards, what do you do when you have an odd range to target. So for example, let's say you know you moa at 650 yards and at 600 yards How do you know what To dial For something which might be 633 yards? Are there programs where once I load my load information and weather conditions I can then type in my ranges yardage and it will give me back the MOA for that specific range instead of a giant table?

Last edited:
I've been using Mil-Dot Ballistics but I really only use it for hunting so I haven't tested it extensively on different dial ins. I hold over when hunting and it works great but I've dialed in from the bench at the range and it worked well.

Ballistics AE......not free, however.......I paid 10 bucks I think, good program that lets you correct its solutions at long range due to BC exaggerations. You can plug in solutions to as little as 10 yds, not down to 3 however. You will just have to get close and figure out from there.... regardless of software used, I believe.

Last edited:
I have had Shooter(good), Strelok Pro(not a fan), I like Applied Ballistics. I am not sure if I am more familiar with it or what, it always comes through. It has one feature I do not care for and that is powder temp, it messes your velocities up bad, I just disable it before I calculate.

All,

im finally able to shoot some reasonable distance at my house. I cleared out a 650 yard range. Before this I've only been shooting to 400 yards with gold lines. Now I actually have rifles with MOA target style turrets. My question is I've been using some free software like jbm ballistic, but let's say you set the increments even to 50 yards, what do you do when you have an odd range to target. So for example, let's say you know you moa at 650 yards and at 600 yards How do you know what To dial For something which might be 633 yards? Are there programs where once I load my load information and weather conditions I can then type in my ranges yardage and it will give me back the MOA for that specific range instead of a giant table?
My favorite and the one I use is the Shooter app you can set up your range distances in any increment you want but I do use 50 yard increments it makes such little difference in between that you should still be on target but of course you can type in the exact distance it just takes time and certain situations like hunting you don't have that time in which case knowledge comes with experience practice practice practice And know your equipment

Last edited:
Also something else to consider is truing your data Shooter allows you to run multiple B C's some apps only allow you to run one average BC which is something else to consider when choosing a ballistics app

Well I started out with the free Streloc program . It was great until reaching past 1000 yrds . Then is seemed to be lacking correct info . I set up for the 2053 yard shot on steel with one of my 338 Edges . I was a full 2 mil low on first shot . Adjusted and hit the steel .
When I got home I bought the Shooter App.
I put in all the same data and it was spot on.
I did have to adj.again when I hit the 3027 yard steel .
I guess it depends on your intentions .
But i recommend the Shooter app ..hands down .

Rum Man

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.