Which ballistic calculator you using?

I searched old forums but it seems the latest is from July '17 and a lot has changed since then. My biggest question is what ballistics calculator do you use? Curiosity hit me so I went to the play store and downloaded 3 ballistic apps. They all offer different advice on adjustment for long range. I have the kestrel 2700 that I have used in the past and works great but it only stores information for 1 rifle. For this test I just used 700 yards as a basic input for 3 apps and for a different calculation with each one. Is this just user input error? Should I just stick with the 2700? Thank you
Justin

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210301-110412.jpg
    Screenshot_20210301-110412.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20210301-110424_Strelok.jpg
    Screenshot_20210301-110424_Strelok.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20210301-112754_BallisticsARC.jpg
    Screenshot_20210301-112754_BallisticsARC.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 111
I use 4DOF, and really like it. It seems to be spot on for real world use. I use Hornady bullets though, so not sure how well it does with other brands.

Can't see all the inputs for all the different screen shots, but your GeoBallistics calculation appears to include a 12° incline, and the others do not, which at least partially explains why it's calling for less drop than the other two.

Thank you, I tried to put the inputs the same but I must have had my phone tilted 12° while I was inputting the geobalistics on accident. I have always been happy just ringing steel and not necessarily trying for the smallest groups on paper. Even at 900-1000 yards I can be off .1 mil and still hit the steel ram or pig. The chicken is a little tough at that range. This experiment has made me think, what is my actual group size and how can I get it just a little smaller. Thanks for your advice.

I along with several friends are using Strelok Pro with favorable results. Like @entoptics says, we can't see the inputs. A slight scope height difference or even a slight difference in stored B.C. could change some.. .2mils could be a weather/temperature/atmospheric condition between three apps, that's really not outstanding in my opinion. .2mils is close to .75 moa..

Last edited:
I along with several friends are using Strelok Pro with favorable results. Like @entoptics says, we can't see the inputs. A slight scope height difference or even a slight difference in stored B.C. could change some.. .2mils could be a weather/temperature/atmospheric condition between three apps, that's really not outstanding in my opinion. .2mils is close to .75 moa..
Thanks for the input. I guess I never really cared that much about .1 or .2 because the steel targets were big enough to compensate. As I transition to paper targets my group size is becoming more important.
Justin

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts