Which annealing machine?

Bigeclipse

I have been doing annealing using a drill, socket and counting seconds. I'm now thinking about getting a machine. I don't do a ton of annealing so the AMP system seems a bit much at 1400$. A Bench source seems more reasonable at ~500$ but I don't want to spend 500$ if it is not good. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Benchsource is a great gas annealer. So is a Giraud unit. The Annealeeze is good and cheap but the torch holder needs some jury rigging to make it easier to adjust and hold in position. The AMP's main advantage over a gas annealer is the ability to precisely control the 'depth' of anneal and be able to reproduce this consistently. My suggestion is look to the classifieds on AccurateShooter and watch for gas annealers to pop up...or...put in a wanted add and I'm sure you will find a bunch of options quick. I've owned a Annealeeze and currently own an AMP. I have a friend/fellow competitor that has a Benchsource. The BS is definitely a better set-up than the Annealeeze but near double the cost...new.

This guy makes a Hot Salt Annealing setup that uses a Lee Precision Melter Pot, ( bought separate I believe). Works well, his precision construction of the holder is excellent fit for the Lee Pot..

This guy makes a Hot Salt Annealing setup that uses a Lee Precision Melter Pot, ( bought separate I believe). Works well, his precision construction of the holder is excellent fit for the Lee Pot..
After reading an article about how salt bath annealed don't produce hot enough temps i think im going to stick with the gas annealers but thanks!

Benchsource is a great gas annealer. So is a Giraud unit. The Annealeeze is good and cheap but the torch holder needs some jury rigging to make it easier to adjust and hold in position. The AMP's main advantage over a gas annealer is the ability to precisely control the 'depth' of anneal and be able to reproduce this consistently. My suggestion is look to the classifieds on AccurateShooter and watch for gas annealers to pop up...or...put in a wanted add and I'm sure you will find a bunch of options quick. I've owned a Annealeeze and currently own an AMP. I have a friend/fellow competitor that has a Benchsource. The BS is definitely a better set-up than the Annealeeze but near double the cost...new.
I am not a competition shooter. Only a longrange-ish hunter (max around 600 yards) so getting the most perfect brass is not super critical but preserving expensive brass like 28nosler where annealing every firing is more critical is really what I'm after.

I am not a competition shooter. Only a longrange-ish hunter (max around 600 yards) so getting the most perfect brass is not super critical but preserving expensive brass like 28nosler where annealing every firing is more critical is really what I'm after.
I'm glad to hear your reasoning....you are spot on. Annealing won't make your loads shoot better but will make the necks last longer if your dies are working the brass enough to cause significant work hardening. Typical off the shelf dies do neck down then expand the neck more than a custom die and therefore necks will not last as long before splitting if not annealed periodically. I anneal most firings ONLY because I have a lot of brass for a couple of different chamberings for competition and I don't want to have to keep track of cycles between anneals. On my hunting rifles, of which I have much smaller lots of brass, I've only annealed every 5-6 firings and rarely have had a neck split except in .17 Rem. For small lots the salt bath annealer is cheap and consistent and does work well in spite of the articles about 'not getting hot enough'. I have a friend who is a past F-TR national champion and he uses a salt bath anneal and gets well past 15 firings on .308 brass using a salt bath. I have no direct experience with one...just what my friend has related to me. I would include that as an option for small batches.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts