Which annealing machine do you recommend?

IMHO, flame annealing is inconsistent at best! You are trading one set of problems fir another. Go to AMP Website and read about them. They are pricey, but worth every penny, great people to work with. I annealed 100 rounds of 6BR brass for a pistol Silo match last week, timed it, 17 minutes.

You came feel the consistency when seating the bullets.

The AMP is one of best pieces of reloading equipment I ever bought! Will never go back to flame annealing.

Regarding salt bath. Not me, way to dangerous. I don't want to be in a room with 500+ degree liquid salt, makes me sudder!

Don't mean to be a stick in the mud, the Annie Anealer method would be VERY questionable at best.

Way too easy to over heat the brass, very dangerous?

No way to get a consistant temperature and hardness.

As I stated above, this type of annealing just trades one set of problems fir another.

I am completely sold on the AMP annealer! Get a couple buddies to split the cost, you won't regret it.

JMHO

I don't understand your logic about the Annie Annealer burning up brass and being dangerous?? The Annie is an induction just like the Amp is, but half the cost. I don't own either one so just not understanding how it is dangerous versus a flame method or salt bath method.

I don't understand your logic about the Annie Annealer burning up brass and being dangerous?? The Annie is an induction just like the Amp is, but half the cost. I don't own either one so just not understanding how it is dangerous versus a flame method or salt bath method.

AMP brings precision and consistency to the table, they spend $$$ to come up with the timing for each casing.
Induction technology is not new, its been around for decades, anyone with a bit of electronic knowledge can make an induction annealer, getting the right timing based on brass composition is another story.
Is the AMP a great tool? Yes. Is the AMP overpriced? Of course it is. I can buy a darn high-end induction stove for about the same price ...
This is the outcome of a single option, they can charge whatever and people will pay.

I uses the torch and a pan of water for years. It wasn't that hard. It maybe not the most inaccurate way, but it increase the life of my cases. I have the Salt system presently. I am going to AMP annealing here shortly. Just about got the funding set aside for a AMP system. Building one I think that's a good one. The annie annealer build looks good also. I am not that well versed in that area, like some many other ways. So I pay.

You can not adequately control the temperature, if you over heat it, you making it too soft IMHO
You sure can. Use tempilaq on the outside. proper annealing temp for case necks is a range and 750 is in the middle of that range. Once you find the time it takes to blacken it, you know the time for that type of brass. What do you think the AMP does? it tests ONE case to determine it's heating potential and then uses that same time for all cases there after. So theoretically, it is doing the same thing the annie is doing but using a computer to analyze the initial time versus a person using tempilaq. consistency is the name of the game, assuming you do not overheat the case. Again, you could even use several stripes of tempilaq, one at 700, one at 750, and one at 800.You then test say three cases and see the time it takes to get to 750 without going to 800. The annie goes by tenths of a second which is more than fine enough adjustment to keep you under 800 and over 700.

Last edited:
AMP brings precision and consistency to the table, they spend $$$ to come up with the timing for each casing.
Induction technology is not new, its been around for decades, anyone with a bit of electronic knowledge can make an induction annealer, getting the right timing based on brass composition is another story.
Is the AMP a great tool? Yes. Is the AMP overpriced? Of course it is. I can buy a darn high-end induction stove for about the same price ...
This is the outcome of a single option, they can charge whatever and people will pay.
See my comment above

In the late 1990 or early 2000 they didn't have much to anneal cases, that I know of at that time. There may have been, but I wasn't aware of it. Computers were just coming on in real time, and just gotten better over the years. Now we can all get on the net and talk and put idea out on in the world and get a response. people share their insights with us all. Not all can afford the high end gear, and have to do with less, and don't I have a problem, nor am I putting anybody down either. I been there, and it's how deep your pocket are.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.