which annealer?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by fisherman983, Jun 7, 2018.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

I use a molten salt setup for my annealing. Rigged up my own plate setup for my Lee lead melter. Got the Potassium Nitrate from Amazon. Have less than $65 in my whole setup.

2. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

So basically the same thing only you rigged it up yourself?
    Do you like the results?

3. geargrinder

Yes, I saw the concept several years ago and decided to give it a try.
    I found a cheap pot and thermometer on ebay. Stump remover (potasium nitrate) on Amazon. Some scap sheet metal and screws in my workshop.

The first time I melted the salt it kind of made a mess. It didn't want to melt evenly and foamed up a bit. I also fiddled with it too much. I should have only filled it half way and let it melt completely, then add a little at a time until full.

I have two sets of holes in mine. One for small diameter cases, and another for standard and magnum.

It takes a little bit to work out the timing. Once you do, that's how you control the amount of annealing.

Canhunter35 likes this.
  4. ppoole

ppoole Well-Known Member

I just bought the setup from ballistic recreations and I have played with it just not shot the ammo yet. Seems better than the flame and socket and all the others I have tried. The amp is a little out of my price range, I’m in the process of starting a build now so that money is spoken for.

5. Deputy819

Deputy819 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Bringing up an older thread. I just ordered the kit from Ballistic Recreations as well and will be using a Lee melter. Have watched literally hours of video on this annealing concept and it seems to be consistent and controllable. Geargrinder, are you using a metronome (or some form of an App) to keep time and have you noticed any negative effects on your brass from the salts?

6. geargrinder

No, I just adjust my pace to control the timing. Put one in, take one out, drop it in the water bucket....repeat.

I think that it also helps that I anneal after every firing. I may not be getting a full anneal, but I'm at least getting enough softening to make sizing easy and protect the necks from splitting.

No negative effects that I have noticed.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Deputy819 likes this.
  7. ehryk

ehryk Well-Known Member

I bought the Giraud annealer and I love it. I pit the wheels on, set the heat and speed, confirm with a case that has tempilaq 750 and 800 (750 melts, 800 doesn't), load the hopper and drop into a roaster pan full of water and walk away. Well, not REALLY walk away, but you get the idea heheheh

8. bob4

bob4 Well-Known Member

I only used my Annealeez twice now but it's simple enough to use. May take a few more minutes to set up for a batch than the amp but for about 700 less I can afford a few more minutes. Did a small batch of 30 for a friend yesterday and I was done in 20 minutes or so. If it was a batch of 100 probably wouldn't of taken 10 minutes longer.