Which action to build off

Lenwood901

good morning everybody im going to build a 28 sherman using the 195 bergers but have no clue what action to use. ive been looking at bighorn origin or tl3 or the kelby atlas or if you guys think something else would be better thank you for the help

I just bought a Zermatt TL3 SA the other day - so many awesome features (control round feed, mechanical ejector, integral lug, bolt heads you can swap out on your own, etc). Tons of pre-fit shouldered barrels around make swapping barrels a breeze. Same basically goes for the Origin as well.

I'm still waiting on my stock to arrive this week, then I'll have it assembled and ready to roll.

I had Straight Jacket put together my 338 RUM. Overall pretty solid and shoots well! Pretty good guys to deal with. If you do decide to use SJA, I'd suggest acquiring your parts and sending to them to assemble. Will be much quicker this way. You'll notice they don't actually have the Zermatt (Bighorn) TL3 in stock and state to expect at least 7-10 weeks for delivery. I purchased mine through Altus Shooting Solutions and had it in my hands 5 days after purchasing.

Last edited:
Defiance anTi is pretty hot right now. Also, BAT Vampire appeals to me as well.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a full custom. To me it appears Kelbly offers the best value, and from there, sky's the limit.

Until now it's been factory rifles upgraded one piece at a time, but I'm now getting to the point where I have discovered and grounded my personal preferences in experience.

My opinion is, if I don't know what features I want in a custom action, I have no business specifying one. There are certainly no shortage of options in the field, however. A bit dizzying.

I have the bighorn TL3 and love it. I am not a action snob so my needs are easier to meet but I will say this is have been the best decision I've made for an action. Only thing I wished it was, was titanium. Otherwise, 3 heads, switch barrel, running a trigger tech, and it's just a great set up for me. I'd definitely do an origin for the price point.

Maybe look at the SR3 over the TL3 for a hunting rifle. That's my preference anyway, I don't like mag fed hunting rifles all that well. The SR3 will be a bdl setup. Get the SR3 Wyatt cut option and have a Wyatt's box put into the setup. That way you can seat the 195 out to a longer COAL. That would be a must for me on whatever action I chose. Look at Lonepeak titanium actions, they also have the wyatts box option. Good luck on your build.

Depends on your end goal.
For a lower cost, I have a couple builds on Kelbly Atlas Tac actions. Absolutely love them. Super smooth, priced right, full featured.
For a lightweight, no cut corners build, I also have a couple Lone Peak Fuzion TI. Great actions, but not cheap at all. Perfect for light builds though. Way smoother than a few Pierce TIs I have shot.
For an all-around quality build where a bit more weight isn't really a factor, my Defiance Deviant GA Hunter is smooth too. Very well machined. Price is in the middle range. Worth every penny.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts