Which 7mm

600BP

I am looking to build a rifle that will take deer and elk sized game at extended diatances. I have been looking into possibly building a 7mm stw with a 28 inch tube. While I like the .25 and .30 cal mags that I own, I am always looking for an excuse to buy something different. The 7stw or 7rum seem to be good choices. From what I have been reading, however, the 7rum burns bbls out somewhat quickly. I am sure that there are some that will argue that point, which is why I am asking for help/suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I am looking to build a rifle that will take deer and elk sized game at extended diatances. I have been looking into possibly building a 7mm stw with a 28 inch tube. While I like the .25 and .30 cal mags that I own, I am always looking for an excuse to buy something different. The 7stw or 7rum seem to be good choices. From what I have been reading, however, the 7rum burns bbls out somewhat quickly. I am sure that there are some that will argue that point, which is why I am asking for help/suggestions. Thanks in advance.
I was just fixing to say, that I have a Remington 700 Sendero SF custom shop in 7mm STW that is a tack-driver! I shoot the factory-loaded Federal 160 grain AccuBond loads and shooting 1 ragged hole at 100 yards and farther. Haven't shot much over 300 yards with it yet.....but my new hunting land has a few long-range areas that I have been "scoping out". gun)

I believe the 7mm STW to be an excellent choice for long range work. You should really consider your farthest distance you plan to shoot and build or buy accordingly. It is my belief that the 7STW is a good 1200yrd gun, but some will argue that thought. Another option would be the 7mm Allen Mag made by Kirby Allen. He is a gunsmith/builder on this sight. He has some very exciting projects in the works that may be tailored to your need. Hope this helps.

Tank

I believe the 7mm STW to be an excellent choice for long range work. You should really consider your farthest distance you plan to shoot and build or buy accordingly. It is my belief that the 7STW is a good 1200yrd gun, but some will argue that thought. Another option would be the 7mm Allen Mag made by Kirby Allen. He is a gunsmith/builder on this sight. He has some very exciting projects in the works that may be tailored to your need. Hope this helps.

Tank
Thanks Tank...I have been gone from the sight for quite a while....and honestly forgot I was a member here. LOL

I don't believe I've talked with Kirby before. I have a couple of local gunsmiths I usually use if I need something.

You don't happen to know of anyone selling a Remington 700 short-action .308 reciever do you? Preferrably with a jeweled bolt.

Reason being....my .308 I had custom-built for long-range whitetail hunting, got stolen from me last year and I can't find another action to build another one. I can't afford to buy a new gun and then just scrap the whole thing for just the action...

Any help would be appreciated. I would prefer you send me a PM, that way I don't de-rail this guy's thread any worse. :D

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.