Which 7mm for a short barrel long range suppressed rifle?

Which 7mm magnum cartridge would you select for a custom build, barrel length of 22", threaded and suppressed. The shorter barrel is to bring better balance to the overall package while hiking and hunting. Primary purpose will be long range
deer(500-1,000), possibly antelope. I've been reading a ton, looking at 7mm-300wsm, 7mm wsm, 7mm saum, 7 Sherman Short and also considering 7mm Rem mag. Really not interested in the barrel burners (28 Nosler or 7 RUM). Many of the short wildcats posted here seem to be setup on long actions to feed the larger projectiles, if that's necessary why not just go 7mm Rem mag and have far more options in brass and dies? In a short barrel setup, which of these will provide the highest velocity? Are there others I should be considering?

I chose a 7 SAUM with 22" barrel. Should be here at end of month. Will post results.

Yeah that's no where near 7 RM velocity, 180s at 3050 is very common from a 26" barrel.
I agree with you though on a 7mm prc, it'd be awesome to have a cartridge that fell somewhere between a 7 RM and 28 nosler
It's not close to Rem Mag velocities, but I have these loaded very mild as I shoot a fair bit and want my barrel to last. I'm sure someone on this forum can verify, but have spoke with friends that have got the velocities 50-100 FPS below 7 RM with identical projectiles.

This rifle would fill a gap in my safe between a 300 wm and a 6.5 cm. Haven't been able to find much data on the short barrel velocity issue other than standard guidance of 25-50 FPS velocity loss per inch of barrel removed. In my 24" 300 wm, I'm currently running the absolute hammer 178 grain at about 3230 FPS, no signs of pressure so it has the potential to go higher. For this build, I'm hoping to find a cartridge that I can push a 7mm 172 or 177 grain hammer above 3000 FPS. Which cartridge has the greatest potential to get me there?

Here is my 22 in 7SAUM..we run it suppressed with a generous load of RE23 and a 175 berger at about 2750 fps...

Attachments

• IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 198
I own 2 280 Ackley's and love them. I do not get 7RM performance, but very close. With 56gr of H4831 I get 2823fps out of a 26" barrel, shooting a 168gr VLD. It is loaded fairly mildly, and could go much hotter.
sure wish a newer S/A 7mm would come out with readily available brass. 7 PRC? That would be my one concern on several of the chamberings you mentioned. Have you looked around for brass availability first?
I am having mixed results in finding folks that make the brass. Most are currently backordered. Availability of components is definitely a concern. I've seen Gunwerks and ADG are offering 7saum brass (both currently sold out) and Sherman is producing 7ss brass, but purchase is limited to 50 rounds. Nosler is producing 7saum but they are very proud of it, $2.47 per case. The thought of having to make my own wildcat brass is daunting, not sure how complicated a process it is to covert 300 wsm or 270 wsm brass to 7mm-300wsm, and how you find dies for FL sizing to maintain it?

Where can I find performance info on the 7Max?
Best to contact Rich (elkaholic here) he can help you out.
also do a search here for 7MAX. Some info
but not a lot on the New headstamped, fully formed brass.
Also start a thread :
Anyone running a Sherman 7 MAX

Last edited:
Which 7mm magnum cartridge would you select for a custom build, barrel length of 22", threaded and suppressed. The shorter barrel is to bring better balance to the overall package while hiking and hunting. Primary purpose will be long range
deer(500-1,000), possibly antelope. I've been reading a ton, looking at 7mm-300wsm, 7mm wsm, 7mm saum, 7 Sherman Short and also considering 7mm Rem mag. Really not interested in the barrel burners (28 Nosler or 7 RUM). Many of the short wildcats posted here seem to be setup on long actions to feed the larger projectiles, if that's necessary why not just go 7mm Rem mag and have far more options in brass and dies? In a short barrel setup, which of these will provide the highest velocity? Are there others I should be considering?
I have a 24" 7mm blaser improved (very similar to 7mm sherman max) and 9" can. It shoots 175-184 3000-3100 and mainly shoot 195s 2840-2920. Can adds 50fps. I carry it in kifaru gun bearer and can is in my field of view. I can make it 7", but I would be interested in 5-7" hunting can and 18-22" barrel if I did it over. 24-26" overall and low recoil is my preference over that extra 50 to 200 fps

For this build, I'm hoping to find a cartridge that I can push a 7mm 172 or 177 grain hammer above 3000 FPS. Which cartridge has the greatest potential to get me there?
See post #6
Like I said I'm getting that velocity easily in a 22" barrel.
Oddly enough 7 wsm brass is readily available now

I am a big fan of the 7mm WSM for a light weight rifle that shoots and have had excellent results with a Browning A-bolt. The ballistics are almost identical to the 7MM Rem. Mag and the action is short and much lighter. The combination with a 22" barrel works quite well for accuracy and is manageable to shoot. I did add a muzzle break to reduce the muzzle jump and it shoots .5 MOAL with hand loads.

I am having mixed results in finding folks that make the brass. Most are currently backordered. Availability of components is definitely a concern. I've seen Gunwerks and ADG are offering 7saum brass (both currently sold out) and Sherman is producing 7ss brass, but purchase is limited to 50 rounds. Nosler is producing 7saum but they are very proud of it, $2.47 per case. The thought of having to make my own wildcat brass is daunting, not sure how complicated a process it is to covert 300 wsm or 270 wsm brass to 7mm-300wsm, and how you find dies for FL sizing to maintain it?

ADG 7 SAUM brass is out there if you know where to look