Which 6 & what bullet weight?

I love the 243AI and will not own a standard one again. As you don't prioritize speed number one you wont care about fire forming because those rounds are just as good just a bit slower. Then you can enjoy the flatter trajectory and lack of case trimming. If you don't run it to the wall and barrel hot barrel life really isn't bad. I'm over 1K, only a slight change in group size thus far.

6x47/6 creed/ 6xc would be hard to beat in your situation. 600 and in, I would take a hard look at the 95 grain tipped matchking. The 6 br and variants are nice but I would take the extra speed as eastern varmints aren't so plentiful as make barrel life a real concern. The hornady eld m and x will also do fine in your situation.

Years ago, I built a 6BR on a 700 action and had it all tricked out. Don't hunt with it, just to shoot in groundhog matches. One barrel was chambered in a 6 Dasher, but it shot no better than the original 6BR. With 105 Hybrids and Varget, it shoots lights out.

6xc has been stupid accurate and easy to load for. 24" barrrel with 39.5 grains h4350 at .015 off with the 105 Berger hybrid is giving me 2975 with 1/4-1/2 MOA consistently.

Going to have a coyote/varmint gun put together this year, would like to go with a 6mm of some sort, I'm in central Pa, so don't see many shots over 600yrds, what bullet weight would you guys go with? Getting ready to order a barrel, so trying to come up with a twist rate, also would a 6x47 lapua give better barrel life than say a 243 or 6cm? Thank you
Hi Steve. I have 2,...6/284 one with 1/10 twist for light weight pills the other is a custom 3 grove 1/8 twist 26" very fast .. I get 6.5 284. Brass and size down to 6. Load 105 grain Bergers, 4831sc very good long range load kills deer and elk, one shot . Coyotes are always in range. Good luck.

I have a 6 BR Norma, a 6x47, a 243 and a 243 AI. Love them all. The 6Br Norma and 6x47 shoot the tiniest groups (.02 on a regular basis). The 243 AI shoots 105s exceptionally well too. It's my oldest rifle, on it's 6th barrel. I don't have to trim brass very often with the 40° shoulder. It's also killed just over 100 deer. With our new powders you can fill the case 80+ % and get vel around 3000 with the 105s. All are great and will easily shoot to 600 yfs.

I agree with the 6Br idea great round if that does not suit you the plain 243 win. is hard to beat
I love the 243AI and will not own a standard one again. As you don't prioritize speed number one you wont care about fire forming because those rounds are just as good just a bit slower. Then you can enjoy the flatter trajectory and lack of case trimming. If you don't run it to the wall and barrel hot barrel life really isn't bad. I'm over 1K, only a slight change in group size thus far.
Just waiting to get barrel shot out on savage model 12 so i can go with 6 dasher. Buddy just put one together last summer. 1 1/2 group 550 yards. As far as we could shoot at the time.

x2 for the Dasher. If you don't want to fire-form go with the Norma version. I had zero issues initially (first 100 rds or so) but now I have issues with mine ejecting. Just changed out the ejector and extractor (Rem 783 action, so savage style) so hope it fixes the problem. The 105 Hybrid shoots lights out and zero recoil with a brake. Seeing I live in California now I changed over to nonlead for Varmint hunting. An 8 twist still runs 62 grn Varmint grenades and 55 grn Nosler BTLF at 3600+FPS. I love the Dasher and don't regret it at all.

I agree with the 6Br idea great round if that does not suit you the plain 243 win. is hard to beat
I've enjoyed a custom 243 Win for a while. I got tired of the stretched donut necked cases of this cartridge. Changed the chamber to 243AI. Huge improvement. 108 Hybrid @ 3200 FPS. The case dimension is similar to the newer PRC dimensions that state are more efficient. 40 deg shoulder with very little case tapper. 243AI has proven to me to be worth the trouble. Less than half moa. 45 grains of RL23. Cases are Lapua. Very little case stretch Ingraham.

I built a 6CM w. 24" 1:7.5" Proof for a long range coyote/medium range pronghorn & deer rifle. I shoot a 105 Hyb @ 3101fps, and it works great on coyotes and pronghorn.
Took a good pronghorn last year @ 450ish, DRT. I have shot several coyotes with it, from 40ish to 921 yards. All were just done. I was going to work up a 95 TMK load specifically for coyotes, but the 105 Hyb has done such a great job at instantly putting them down, I have not pursued that option yet.

Latest, greatest or maybe something old school cool...? I shoot 105 Berger HVLD's 3250' from 26" 6mm AI. I'm not pushing it, just found the sweet spot there. As been said before, dual purpose round, death on coyotes and plenty good for deer/antelope. Yup, you've got to fireform and the available brass isn't that great but my fireform loads shoot just over 1/2 min and half that in AI. It's not for everybody but I've never been a follower. It needs a long action to load the heavier bullets. Just something to consider...

Latest, greatest or maybe something old school cool...? I shoot 105 Berger HVLD's 3250' from 26" 6mm AI. I'm not pushing it, just found the sweet spot there. As been said before, dual purpose round, death on coyotes and plenty good for deer/antelope. Yup, you've got to fireform and the available brass isn't that great but my fireform loads shoot just over 1/2 min and half that in AI. It's not for everybody but I've never been a follower. It needs a long action to load the heavier bullets. Just something to consider...
What we have been using is norma 7x57 brass size it to 257 Roberts then to 6mm neck turn and fireform then trim to length its a pain but the brass last a lot longer

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.