Which 6.5 to build

I like the 264 Win Mag or 6.5-06. The win mag brass can be difficult to find but with today's powders and rifles, you can really push it hard, 3000+ is easily doable with 140 gr pills.

The 6.5-06 is easy to load and brass can be obtained through any of the 06 cartridges. 140 gr pills can be driven 2900+.

For a light trim sheep (deer/antelope) I have a Kimber 84M that I love. If the action/build would take it I would do the 6.5 PRC, preferably a medium length action. The 84M won't take the magnum bolt face so 6.5CM it is on that one. Nothing wrong with the Creed, they just work.

If you decide bigger than 260AI, go ahead and have 2 barrels finished for it at the same time.
The first should last long enough to establish a full use, accurate life, for the second barrel.

But 6.5x47L with 130 bullets should suit your intent hassle-free. Easy as it gets there.
Keep in mind that the most powerful of ballistic attributes is accuracy. And accuracy is what you manage in the long term.
With this, it should be nobody's goal to replace brass and barrels at a high rate.

A 6.5 SAUM will go 2,500 rounds before needing a setback. 61 grains of H1000 and a 140 grain bullet. Unless you're shooting PRS I think that barrel will last you a while….

For a light trim sheep (deer/antelope) I have a Kimber 84M that I love. If the action/build would take it I would do the 6.5 PRC, preferably a medium length action. The 84M won't take the magnum bolt face so 6.5CM it is on that one. Nothing wrong with the Creed, they just work.

Find a Kimber WSM action and you'll be golden with the PRC

Have to go with 260i. One of the most versatile calibers available. U can use 243, 308,708, or 338 federal brass. Just size and shoot. 147 weight class is good out to 800 yds on game and 1mile for bragging rights. Name another cartridge that comes close to that versatility, i dare u. 6.5's are great on game, dont care what caliber....

What I am really thinking about is a 6.5/.270. Much easier to form than 06, brass readily available. High pressure cartridge. Like the data. Plus still related to .270!!!!!

Recent Posts