Which 6.5 Flavor?

Lonewolf74

So this could end up being a year or two out but I'm wanting to put together another custom build and this time in a smaller cartridge that would get shot a lot for many different things.

I'm leaning toward one of the higher performance 6.5 such as SAUM, PRC or Sherman Short. What I have in mind is to run a light load with a 140ish grain pill at 2900 fps or so for most shooting and hunting but I want the ability to run the 156 EOL up around 2950 fps if the hunt warrants it. I would build with a 26" barrel so I'm not pushing harder for velocity.

Some key points to consider.
Will any of these cartridges need a medium or long action to run the 156 EOL seated out where it belongs?
What is the case capacity of each cartridge?
Which cartridge will have the best feeding?
How is the the Sherman stamped brass (I believe ADG)?

I am partial right now to the Sherman Short Tactical but I don't know if it will achieve my velocity goals or what all else is out there to ponder?

Thanks for your help and experience guy's

6.5SST should easily get you there in a short action. 2900 with 140s is going to be a very light load in a 26".

I have two 6.5SSs. Both built on SAs. A 26" and a 20".
Tinkered a ton with each since they are so fun to shoot. Here are my current loads:
26": 140 Hyb @ 3087fps over H1000, 156 @ 3026 over H1000
20": 144 LR Hyb @ 3023 over N565, 156 @ 2910 over H1000 (the exact same rounds as the 26" @ 3026) or 3001 over N565 (hot load).

I had a 25.5" 6.5SS previously, and was shooting a 140 HVLD @ 3151 over H1000 or 150 SMK @ 3113 over RL23.

The PRC can be ruled out pretty quickly, you'd need a medium action to do what you want so might as well step up to a bigger case if you're doing that. For me it'd be the 6.5 SS if staying in a short action. I just finished a 7 SST build and love it. Like Rick said though, see what you can find brass (and dies) for as that may push you one way or the other.

I have a 24' 6.5 SS. Does 3050 with 147 and h1000(mild load)
Can easily get over 3000 with the 156 Berger and 150 SMK
Wish the freebore was a little shorter on his reamer though (bout .040 too long for dbm)
Never tried any 140's but I would think 3200 would be very doable.

Thank you for the responses guy's.

I know what I'm looking for velocity wise should be pretty easy to obtain. Basically I want a rifle I can run at 6.5 creed or x47 Lapua performance most of the time but juice it up when needed. I figure that would give me a good blend of long barrel life for general shooting and practice but also load to much higher performance if needed for a certain task.

The Sherman does still sound the best to me and if I can easily run it with long bullets in a short action all the better. Not that I'm against going to mid or long action I just only have one short action at the moment and am leaning towards a short.

Another thing I would like to consider is what powder is working good in some of these cartridges? I don't want another cartridge I need to worry about finding N570 or N565 for, I struggle enough to find enough for my magnums.

I would really like to run the IMR enduron powders such as 7977 or 8133, once I can find it again of course.

Another consideration not so much regarding cartridge is barrel profile. What would be a good contour on the heavier side but not as heavy as a sendero?

Not sure I would follow your logic, but it is your money. Lol. Reading into your post it appears the MAJORITY of the shooting would be in the lower performance realm of the cartridges you mentioned with the occasional use to push the round. In my experience, whenever attempting to shoot on the bottom end of a load accuracy suffers, and to compensate the load gets tweaked usually ending back in the upper load range. So, the whole thought of attempting to prolong barrel life or to multipurpose becomes a "pipe dream". Maybe both is possible, but it has not been achievable for me yet. Just a different opinion and good luck.

Rick, thank you for your experience. That is something I didn't even think about...I've spent all my time with my rifles so far at the upper end that I never even thought about Not being able to find accuracy at the lower levels.

I do believe what would probably be the best approach is to build two identical rifles in 6.5 with one in 6.5X47 and one with a lot more capacity. However my funds and mostly my wife wouldn't let that happen!

So I guess that leads to another question to ponder. Has anyone tried running real mild loads in any of these cartridges and still found great accuracy?

If having to choose one or the other I would go the route of the smaller cartridge like 6.5 creed or 6.5X47 because the rifle will mainly be used for shooting fun, practice maybe a comp or two and for some deer hunting.

I suppose another question I should ask is what have you guy's experienced in trying to push the 156 EOL in the smaller cartridges such as 6.5X47 and Creed? Is it getting to the point of too much bullet for that amount of case capacity? What sort of velocity was achieved?