Which 45/70 die set?

Absolutely use the Lee Factory crimp die. I use Redding Micrometer seat and their special expander and like both. The Lee will crimp all bullets. My Marlin really likes the 325 FTX. It works in regular brass if you can seat it out far enough.

Last edited:
Get the cowboy dies and the Lee crimp die
This...

The RCBS Cowboy dies or the Lyman dies will not overwork the brass like Redding and other dies can. I learned this the hard way while learning to load BPCR.
The Lyman "M" die is very helpful for getting consistent neck diameter and, if you ever do decide to shoot cast bullets, will provide the proper flare on the case mouth to avoid shaving the bullet bases.
The Lee Factory Crimp die is a great addition for consistent crimps which you will definitely need for use in a repeater.

Remember to anneal your brass!!!

Ed

I hope to get a browning 1886 in 45/70 and a mod 94 in 30/30 so I can shoot cast boolits, does the recently manufactured browning 1886 qualify as a "modern" gun for reloading purposes?

you wont need to crimp in your Browning, all you'll need is a roll crimp in your lever gun. the RCBS, Lyman both have them. Keep the Browning under 28k for pressure the lever gun under 40k although you will most likely never get there anyway as recoil is brutal in that light of a gun. If you choose the FTX bullets you will need to shorten your brass below 2.1 to use them in a levergun. This is not needed in the browning just something to think about before you buy those bullets. If it were me (and its not) I would use the 300gr or 350gr in the marlin and a 405gr in the browning. If you get into casting the RCBS 300 and 400gr RNFPGC work very well in both those rifles! RL7/IMR4198 in the lever gun and AA5744 in the browning. I have 4, 45-70 lever guns and a Magnum research pistol in 45-70, I used a lee crimp die for the first 50rds or so, if I can find it you can have it as I never use it.

matt

Browning is an updated version of the 1886 lever action weighs over 9 lbs.
I have to sell my ruger #1 to make space so that might take a while.

FWIW.....just save the $$$ and get a Shiloh. Buy once cry once. You will NOT be disappointed. A CPA rifle would also be a good choice, they will chamber any rimmed cartridge. They use Douglas barrels.

FWIW.....just save the $$$ and get a Shiloh. Buy once cry once. You will NOT be disappointed. A CPA rifle would also be a good choice, they will chamber any rimmed cartridge. They use Douglas barrels.
Once you buy a Shiloh Sharps you'll never look at another single shot rifle the same way. Mine is a work of art which is also an incredibly accurate rifle.

Ed