Which 350 Legend bolt gun?

megastink

I live in Southeast PA where straight walls are now legal. I feel obliged to get one, as I do quite a bit of hunting in the late season. I'm considering either the Winchester Stealth SR or Ruger Ranch. I'm a big Savage Fan, but I don't like their offerings in that caliber. I'm really leaning towards the Winchester, but a 5lb trigger pull makes my lip curl. I've tried researching posts on the subject of 350 Legends here, but they all discuss AR's, which is not an option for me here. Thoughts on what model I should invest in?

I bought the Mossberg Patriot in the 350 legend. Used it for the first season last year. Yes it is cheaper of all the 350 offering, but it can shoot. It seems to like the lighter bullets like the 150's and 165's. Been wanting to try Winchester's new 160gr bonded hollow points.

As for the Mossberg, I am pretty pleased with it. Oh, when I order the Patriot, it was the only one with a 22" barrel. I wanted the longer barrel.

Jason

Franchi momentum. Its more expensive, but I'll bet it's a lot better.

I'll take a savage all things being equal $$$. They have a number of offerings.

I've reloaded for this cartridge pretty extensively. A little extra COAL goes a long way with regards to performance.

I live in MI and hunt the limited firearms section of the state....so shotguns, ML, or straight wall stuff. I'm not overly impressed with the 350L in terms of terminal performance. Inside of 100 yards, my 44 mag hits much harder. My hunting gun is a 45 Raptor and its the cats ***.

Have you looked at the cva cascade? They have couple different models the one I like is the camo one with cerakote they also have bergara barrels on them and are threaded.also if I'm not mistaken they take savage round top scope mounts (please make sure if purchased)

I ended up with the Winchester XPR. It is probably the most expensive. It had the best trigger. I adjusted to a crisp 3.5lbs. That was the lightest I could make it safely. Be careful. Unsafe is a real possibility. Too little spring pressure and 3 lever triggers don't reset the sear to the correct position. There is a window. Look through it. That said, the trigger body is one piece with the receiver and pins are staked viciously. It would be hard to pull apart and tune up.

I worked on the bolt for weeks to smooth it out somewhat…..it is still pretty high force. Honestly, I bought it for being the lowest force of all the models I looked at! It really benefits from a properly cleaned and greased bolt.

Mine has a nice Cerakote or Cerakote like finish. Stock is a ***, but usable molded stock.

Accuracy has been sub-moa to even a couple 1/2" 3 shot groups. Great as it is a super light rifle.

Overall, it works well for its intended use. I would buy again.

I've been really happy with my Ruger Ranch rifle in .300 BLK. It is surprisingly accurate with most ammunition and it is easy to carry. I do have some issues once in awhile with the rotary magazine and feeding the first round. I do believe the newer production Ruger American Ranch rifles have much better feeding from the AR style magazines.

Last edited:
I have a a ar style and also put together a ruger ranch for a Purple Heart raffle. I was very impressed with the ranch.
And as said above they like lite bullets. I was not super impressed with the heavier bullets.
I currently am super pleased with the 125gr hammers. Feel very comfortable with the terminal performance and accuracy at 300 yards.

If I did a bolt gun, I think that I would lean toward the howa mini action.
That being said I have an ar that I have never even bought a round for it.
Just not much use for it in south west Nebraska

Attachments

• E66B432A-C8F8-43E3-8C38-990126188926.jpeg
    E66B432A-C8F8-43E3-8C38-990126188926.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 111
  • DBDF2D93-887E-4FFF-9D5B-44B82789809B.jpeg
    DBDF2D93-887E-4FFF-9D5B-44B82789809B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 178
I would honestly be surprised if any rifle manufacturer in 2021 would be putting out trash. With the online world being what it is repeated bad manufacturing will get reported pretty quickly. I'd just find what is in your budget and roll with it. Now mind you the .355-.357 caliber bullet is not the most accurate bullet ever designed but my bottom dollar gas gun build still maintains 1.5MOA with handholds at 1MOA. Plenty for my hunting range.

I ended up with the Winchester XPR. It is probably the most expensive. It had the best trigger. I adjusted to a crisp 3.5lbs. That was the lightest I could make it safely. Be careful. Unsafe is a real possibility. Too little spring pressure and 3 lever triggers don't reset the sear to the correct position. There is a window. Look through it. That said, the trigger body is one piece with the receiver and pins are staked viciously. It would be hard to pull apart and tune up.

I worked on the bolt for weeks to smooth it out somewhat…..it is still pretty high force. Honestly, I bought it for being the lowest force of all the models I looked at! It really benefits from a properly cleaned and greased bolt.

Mine has a nice Cerakote or Cerakote like finish. Stock is a ***, but usable molded stock.

Accuracy has been sub-moa to even a couple 1/2" 3 shot groups. Great as it is a super light rifle.

Overall, it works well for its intended use. I would buy again.
Only problem for me in the XPR is the trigger pull weight. Can't get it down to where I want it and there are no after mkt springs or replacement triggers. Other than the trigger issues, it is a nice firearm.