Which 338 to build?

Timnterra

I'm filling a big hole in my cartridge line up with a big boomer. I've been set on the 338 edge, but shopping around for dies and brass has been a little frustrating. This has got me thinking about opening up my options. I'm now debating between the 338 Rum, 338 Edge, 338 lapua and the 338 Norma. I will not be doing an improved chamber of any kind because I don't have time or a desire to fire form. Lapua brass and dies seem to be everywhere and no more expensive than any other. I was going to use a 300 Rum donor action so the bolt change for the lapua and NM factor in a little. What would you build?

Attachments

• 745504A4-129D-4643-806F-DD96563662F9.jpeg
    745504A4-129D-4643-806F-DD96563662F9.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 7,902
I'm filling a big hole in my cartridge line up with a big boomer. I've been set on the 338 edge, but shopping around for dies and brass has been a little frustrating. This has got me thinking about opening up my options. I'm now debating between the 338 Rum, 338 Edge, 338 lapua and the 338 Norma. I will not be doing an improved chamber of any kind because I don't have time or a desire to fire form. Lapua brass and dies seem to be everywhere and no more expensive than any other. I was going to use a 300 Rum donor action so the bolt change for the lapua and NM factor in a little. What would you build?
I own a 338 Lapua !

I vote Edge, I've been through them all. 338 rum, 338 edge, lapua, and lapua ai.

For all practical purposes in 26" barrels - ive found the edge pound for pound gives the best performance (speed vs powder burnt)w/ 300 grain bullets.

Just my own experience - been playing heavily with 338 lapua ai's lately.

Also - I would Suggest going with ADG Brass if you do go with the edge. Fantastic brass! Right there with lapua.

I went with a Norma magnum, but only because I wanted to have a repeater with really long bullets. The 270 Super Bull Dozers with a .403 G7 bc going 2830 from a 9 lb 24" barreled rifle are substancial elk and bear medicine. If I didn't mind single feeding though, I would have gone with an Edge. It would be a little more performance with the same length barrel. And if I wanted something bigger, I would go 33 xc on a bigger action.

I went with a Norma magnum, but only because I wanted to have a repeater with really long bullets. The 270 Super Bull Dozers with a .403 G7 bc going 2830 from a 9 lb 24" barreled rifle are substancial elk and bear medicine. If I didn't mind single feeding though, I would have gone with an Edge. It would be a little more performance with the same length barrel. And if I wanted something bigger, I would go 33 xc on a bigger action.

I run a repeater on a 700 action with a Wyatt's box extension and the ejection port opened up. Can go to nearly 4" COAL. Have plenty of room to spare with 260 hammer bullets.

Really doesn't matter much which one you choose, the rifle you have built will be the reason it shoots or doesn't, that part has literally nothing to do with the cartridge. Finding readily available good brass is a good reason to lean one way or another.
If you have an action that supports one over another would also be a reason to lean on way or another.
If your starting fresh, well....lapua makes great brass, and it's everywhere.
I've owned a few big boomers, still own a couple of them.
You should spend more time worrying about your builder and components and getting it set up right than you should worry about which piece of brass your powder is going to sit in before it sends a bullet through your rifle. I like them all, if starting fresh, I'd be torn between the norma and lapua.
Easy to find good brass would probably steer me to the lapua, but I really like the norma. Good problems to have, good luck with it.

Odd man out at this point, but I went with the 338 RUM. I wanted the ability to run it as a repeater (already had a magnum action on hand). I've been happy with it so far - pushes the 285 Amax to 2945 with a case full of H1000 out of a 30" barrel.

Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of them. They each have their own pros and cons, but at the end of the day, you're going to be pretty close in performance across the board.

The thing that got me thinking was reading in one of the past threads here that 338 Rum and 338 edge rifles often produce best accuracy with identical loads. It kinda made me think that if the loads ended up being the same then the edge really didn't have an edge. I'm going to be running the Wyatt's 4" box regardless of the chambering to make the most out of case.

I run a repeater on a 700 action with a Wyatt's box extension and the ejection port opened up. Can go to nearly 4" COAL. Have plenty of room to spare with 260 hammer bullets.
You wouldn't be running it as a repeater with a 270 Badlands SBD. It is 1.980" long, even in my Norma at .050 off it is 3.800" OAL, throw that in an edge and it ain't happening unless you jump a mile, even then the bearing surface is going to be right at the case neck, if not possibly below it.

L to R, 265 ABLR, 300 Berger, 270 SBD, 285 Hammer Hunter.
20200223_144643.jpg

Well I'm going to injoy this thread ! Ha ha

Tim I have a few questions for you but first you answered your own question already when I read I have a 300 Rum donor action !

Now you just need to flip a coin or better yet when your buddy asks you ...what 338 do you have ? What is going to make you happy everytime you say it . Edge or Rum .

I dont want to sound stupid or crazy about this .
I have lots of trigger time with both the 338 Edge and the 338 Rum .
Absolutely no time with the Lapua or the Norma and I'm sure I wont .
If speed and velocity is your goal then head to the 33XC.
So in putting together 6 338's I have found that the Edge and the Rum are so close it's a toss up .
Here is a few questions:
What are your goals with this Rifle ? Bench shooting ? Packing in the Mountains? Carbon barrel ? Super light weight build ? What bullet are you leaning to ?

I have did them all , light weight Edge and Rum came out finnished in the same way. Both at 10.6 pounds complete .
Both running the 300 gr bergers at 2883 and 2884 ft.per.sec. same build specks . Remington action , 30 " barrel plus brake , timney trigger.
Are your goals 1000 yards ? 1500 yrd. 2000 yrd . Or past ?
I pushed my heavy 338 Edge from 3 in the same hole at 100 yards to a 26 3/4" 3 shot group at 3027 yards . 1.72 miles .

Sorry so long winded here guys !
I wish you were close we could look at my countless hrs of data in my book .
No I'm not a Pro or even trained in anyway , just hands on experience.

So all that said it would determine what I had or could find , brass and dies , components wise . 338 Rum or 338 Edge no bad choice here !
I took my Last fall Bull Elk at 1244 yrds with the 338 Edge and 300 gr bergers Eh .
It was a Amazing day for me !
Good luck in your choice !
If I can help in anyway give me a shout !

Rum Man