Which .338..rum,nosler,sm,edge

Yes..lots of info to digest. Guess I will have to keep digging to find what will fit my needs
Another thing to give serious consideration to is your action choice.
I know, i know, that lots of 338s are being built on Rem actions.
But again if it were me i wouldnt, even if it meant waiting longer in order to build it on a custom action.
But if you do id be keeping the case head size to the standard magnum configuration.
That pretty much means building an Edge or a Rum.

Another thing to give serious consideration to is your action choice.
I know, i know, that lots of 338s are being built on Rem actions.
But again if it were me i wouldnt, even if it meant waiting longer in order to build it on a custom action.
But if you do id be keeping the case head size to the standard magnum configuration.
That pretty much means building an Edge or a Rum.
I agree. I hear of people opening up the bolt face on the Rem action to accept the bigger LM/NM case head, but I also hear of problems with bolt lug setback. I`m not a gunsmith so I couldn`t really say, but it doesn`t seem to me that LM at 2800 fps with a 300 gr projectile would cause more thrust/setback than an Edge at 2900 fps with the same projectile. Maybe someone can clarify that for me. TIA

Planning on steel targets to 1200yds, hunting targets to 800ish, hoping to build on existing remington 700, repeater is a plus but not required. Weight goal is 10lbs bare gun 13lbs scoped with 14oz all titanium suppressor(already ordered waiting on stamp)
So this is why I asked those questions. To solidly cover your distances and be mag fed, my first choice would have been 338 Norma. But if you want to build on a regular 700 action anything with a .585 case head is out. And before folks start chiming in I know people do it all the time that doesn't make it a good idea, for a case head that size you need a .750 bolt. To answer stw's question it's not just a function of weight and speed it also has to do with the surface area of the case head it's pressing against. And the problem is not just lug set back, If you cut a regular .700 bolt for a .585 case head you only wind up with a sliver of steel around the head. The edge 338 PRC and some others that people have mentioned aren't standard cartridges so dies and brass are always going to be an issue even under the best of circumstances. I think the best answer for all your requirements is either a 338 ultramag, or a 33 nosler. They will easily cover that distance, be mag feedable, you could build them on a 700 ultramag action, and they run right on either side of the two cartridges that you said intrigued you.

Last edited:
Looking to have a .338 built. Mostly to ring steel but elk and moose when I feel it's needed. I handload for all my rifles and have been very successful with all of them. The 338-300prc and 338 edge both have me very intrigued but finding components and dies appears to be difficult for any .338 at this time.
I've read tell my brain hurts on many different .338 chambers and still haven't came to a solid conclusion.
If anyone with hands on experience with these care to share there thoughts I would very much appreciate the help
personally I would choose 338x300 prc . read up on the 33 Newton Buffalo Arms New York .
This is an efficient cartridge that has been overlooked and is on the same level as the 340 Weatherby .
I'm building my 338x375 Ruger for this very reason

I like my Carolina Precision Rifle in 338 Jarrett so much that i sent Kenny Jarrett my sendero for a 338Jarrett rebarrel.
The CPR sends 225 grain nosler partitions at 3200fps 1/2 MOA.
The Jarrett rifle will have an extended magazine box for 3.825 COAL and should send 250 accubonds around 3000fps

338 Jarrett is a blown out, blown forward, improved and necked up 8mm Rem mag case.
Jarrett now offers their own brass (i think its made by Norma) so you don't have to fire form.

you can use 7mm stw, 375h&h, 300h&h, 416 rem mag .... any of the full length 2.850 belted magnum brass and fire form.

I've got an Edge and a Nosler. My Edge is a single shot range toy setup for 300 grain Bergers and the Nosler is one of my main hunting rifles. I'm running 250 EH Bergers at 2900ish out of my 26" barreled 33 Nosler with soft Nosler brass. And now that I've got Peterson brass I'll probably be able to push it a little harder. Just haven't had time to find out.

Last edited:
Another side note on a 338 is, IMHO the main reason to go to a 338 as opposed to a 300, is to launch the heavier (300gr) projectiles with higher BCs at higher velocities for the long range gains of retained energy and velocity along with being effected less by the wind at distance. In my way of thinking, if I wanted to shoot the lighter 225/245 class bullets I would just stick with my 300 RUM. I may be all wet but that was my motivation to build a bigger 338, and I haven`t been disappointed. Just my .02