Which 300?

I have 300 Weatherby, 300 WSM, and 300 Winmag. I grab the Sako 300 Winmag as my favorite. It's everywhere, lots of factory loads available, and not going anywhere. 150 gr bullets don't have much recoil and sizzle. There are a dozen 308s also for gentle shooting, but WM will do it all.

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I own a Mesa in .300wm. I have it topped with a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 sitting in Talley Lightweight Rings/Bases. With 8 rounds in the ammoslicker stock pack it weighs in right at 9.2 lbs. It would be very easy to drop 6 or 7 ounces just by changing scopes. I also shoot it without the included brake. The radial brake kicks up a ton of dust unless you're shooting from the standing position. The 24 inch barrel is much nicer to carry than a 26. I took my elk last year at 440 yards and didn't feel like I needed more gun. Its just heavy enough to sit fairly steady when making the shot but not so heavy that you despise carrying it. It also has a 3.6 inch mag box if you want to load big heavy bullets. Its a great all around rifle for the price.

300 WM 1.jpg
300 win mag load.png
I love my newer Bergara HMR 300wm it cost $850 brand new and out shoots my custom gun that cost 3x as much
300 WM 1.jpg

How many of you guys think I should go with the 26" over the 24".
I'm just thinking for packing, that 26" is gonna hang in everything.
I built my 300 WM with a 24" barrel for that reason. I am glad I did. Another positive for the 300 WM is that if you lose your ammo or run out, every hardware store in elk county have 300 WM and 7 RM on the shelf.

Last edited:
In 300WM go with 26" and in 300WSM 24" is fine. The new powders help in the shorter barrels. I am 6'3" tall and I find the 300WSM carrys nice when walking through thick cover in moose country. My favourite deer rifle in 308 Win. Has a 20" barrel and it is fast handling in our tight deer cover here.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new rifle. I want it in a 300 for bigger animals such as elk although I will use it for deer here in Oklahoma at times.

Question is: 300WM or 300WSM

The reason I'm even considering the wsm is for the weight savings. I hope to have this come in at 8.5# or even less. That's hunting weight.

If I'm wanting to possibly shoot longer ranges, how much difference is there? Which should I go with?
First ? is: Do you craft your own ammo? No? 300 WinMag. Yes? 30 Nosler, 300 Norma or the PRC. I'll never get over that I believe the RUM/30-378 is way past the point of diminishing returns. You want to burn 25% more powder to gain 5% Velocity have at it. I'll just adjust the dope and stay reasonable.

My vote will go for the 300 WSM. There is a reason why the F class guys love it! As stated by the other members you can use a shorter action and therefore save weight. Great proformance and projectiles available. Negatives: The 300 WSM will burn your barrel quicker compare to the 300Win Mag. If you are into reloading, componants like brass might be harder to find. Everything else in my opinion will be positives.

Another alternative is the 300 Norma Magnum. This is a real barrel burner(800-1000 rounds)but an excellent hunting cartrage with better preformance than the 300 Win Mag.

If weight is a factor for you, use a Proof Research barrel on the new build. There are plenty of reasons why special forces are using Proof barrels.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new rifle. I want it in a 300 for bigger animals such as elk although I will use it for deer here in Oklahoma at times.

The reason I'm even considering the wsm is for the weight savings. I hope to have this come in at 8.5# or even less. That's hunting weight.

If I'm wanting to possibly shoot longer ranges, how much difference is there? Which should I go with?
I appreciate the agony involved with choosing the best .300 as there are a considerable number of .300 cartridges. I have actively hunted Deer, Elk, Bear and Buffalo for the past 45 years. When choosing a cartridge I decided I wanted a single cartridge that would allow me to use a single rifle for all of my targeted game at all of the distances I would encounter.

After hours of research I selected the .300 Weatherby in a Mark 5 model. The .300 Weatherby has a distinct advantage in hydrostatic shock over all other .300 calibers. Secondly, I reload, so I can/could download the load for smaller game. However, I have found using factory ammo, or reloads that match factory load ballistics, provide single shot kills on Deer, Elk, Bear and Buffalo at all reasonable distances without excessive meat damage. Of course I am careful to make heart or lung shots and not shoulder or neck shots.

Initially, I was concerned about cost. For me, spending some extra money to acquire a single high quality, reliable rifle, that allows me to hunt virtually any game on the American Continent was and is worth the expense.

As per my earlier post: 24" is certainly acceptable and has its merits. It would be my choice in a #3 or lighter weight contour but, I usually go with a 26" barrel in a Sendero contour or heavier, for magnum cartridge rifles.

I would go with the 300WM, single biggest reason is ammo availability and breadth of weights. I have a 300WSM, it doesn't get a lot of field time.

I'm really liking to 30 Nosler I bought last year. It's a Nosler M48 from their custom shop. It shoots and performs identically to my old 300 Weatherby but recoil is a lot tamer. I'm sure this is because of the stock I'm sure. Between the two you listed, I'd get the 300 WM.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.