Which 30 cal?

This is absolutely not correct, anytime you can run a 215 Berger at 3050- 3100 in a 300WM let me know with the same length barrel
Supposedly (haven't verified myself) the 300 win mag long enough you can get within 100 FPS of it. I'm going to copy and paste a quote from another website of a guys 300 wm with 215's:

"
In my rifle I running 83 grains of H1000 in Norma brass, and getting 3030 fps out of a 25" barrel. My OAL to the ogive is 3.010".

In the two CA Ridgelines that I've been loading for, we are running 75.5 grains of H1000 in Norma brass and getting just under 2800 fps with 26" barrels. The OAL to the ogive is 2.900". We are not seeing any pressure at all with this load, and I'm sure I can push it a little more."

End quote

If you're already having a barrel reamed like OP is, I don't see why you wouldn't do a long throat if you have the option. I'm not saying the win mag is as powerful, it's not. I'm just saying for the downsides of it, it's not worth the bump in performance. And if I wanted to really push the heavies fast, I'd jump up to the RUM.

I can tell you ive been around alot of 300 WM and not one has come close to that 3030fps and 215 in a 25" barrel with 83 of H1000, that is exactly what the load is in a 30 Nosler with a 215 to get to 3100 or close depending on the barrel and brass and reamer and ive done it in 3 and all have shot well. I would have to see that 3030 with my own eyes and confirm with a back up chrono because its definitely not the rule rather than the exception.
You hear alot about Bigngreen's reamer design for the 300WM and I think its more like 2950fps with a 215

Last edited:
If you have the illogical fear of belts, or noises under your bed or in your closet go with the 300 PRC. If you want the best 30 cal. ever created go with the 300 Weatherby. Great brass, fantastic accuracy, excellent velocity, tolerable barrel life, and always, ALWAYS available loaded or component brass. The best balanced 30 case still. And it has James Bond type class.

Having Oregon mountain rifle replace the barrel on my rem 700. Been looking at 300 prc but can't find brass for it. Should I go with 30 nosler or should I go 300 win mag?

The .300 WinMag has been around since 1963, and.....components are "relatively" available even in these times when you cannot buy anything. You didn't mention what the rifle was going to be used for, however I do not believe that no matter what you use the rifle for there really isn't that much difference between all three to matter.

Is the 300 RUM an option? Between 30 nosler and 30 rum I'd choose the rum. The 30 nosler doesn't have all that much more than the win mag. And since I'm a whipper snapper (relatively young guy) I don't like belted cases. I love the 28 nosler, but for 30 caliber I really like the RUM. Everything a 30 nosler does, RUM can do better, other than being able to fit in a shorter mag well.

if rum isn't an option, I'd go PRC. It's basically a beltless win mag. When you get into the heavies I've heard that the win mag slightly beats the PRC anyways, but not by much. So if you shoot 230gr or heavier, win mag. 180-225 I'd go PRC. Brass will be available soon enough, we have to remember it's a fairly new round.

My canyon Rifle is a Rem M700 with a 30" bbl chambered in 300RUM. My go to load is a 208gr AMAX at 3243 FPS. Not an elk load by any means. On Mule deer it is devastating. I use sorted, turned necks and length trimmed Rem Brass, US869 powder, Fed 215 match.
I am in the process of trying to switch to Nosler 200gr AB's.

Looking at the major pluses and minuses, I'm sure I missed some.

The 300 WIN is definitely a great travel cartridge like some others 30-06, 270 WIN, 243 WIN, 308 WIN, 375 H&H etc. as far as ammo being available at the local gun store whether its in South Africa or Rifle Colorado. And typically cases are available from most retailers. The SAAMI length does not support long high BC bullets. You can load them but they will extend into the powder space to fit into the mag.. The case maintains the legacy belt portion, not a huge deal but its there.

The 30 Nosler gets rid of the belt, not a huge deal but it does, and has the same SAAMI length issue the 300 WIN does. The components ie. cases are higher in price than most. The SAAMI length does not support long high BC bullets. You can load them but they will extend into the powder space to fit into the mag.

The 300 Ultra has great acceptance in the US and you can likely find ammo at some gun stores. It also gets rid of the belt, not a huge deal but it does. The SAAMI length does not support long high BC bullets. You can load them but they will extend into the powder space to fit into the mag. It is known as a barrel burner and known to be tough to accurize some times. I cannot speak directly to these issues but they have been discussed ad nauseam.

The 300 PRC is the new kid on the block. Has a SAAMI spec length for long high BC bullets which means the magazines have to match the longer length and off the shelf ammo plus hand loads can take advantage of this feature. It also gets rid of the belt, not a huge deal but it does. Cases and loaded ammo are short in supply, but so is freaking everything right now. Sportsman's in AZ is out of everything, including 300 WIN.

The other "wildcat" 30s will mostly perform in the higher end of the ballistics range but all have the same issue I have with my 7mm LRM, small source choice for cases and higher than normal case price. I love my LRMs performance and hate it for the case issue. And if you think 300 PRC might be hard to find in Johannesburg then ... ;-)

In general if they are loaded similarly, ie. bullet base not past the neck should junction the performance between the 300 WIN, 30 Nos, 300 Ultra, and 300 PRC will be so close no critter will ever notice at normal hunting ranges. The wildcats will always be a little higher, performance wise, but still not a huge difference really. With all the ways to get range and correction for elevation super duper velocity performance is really a mute point these days. Higher BC + higher velocity will help cut wind deflection and can make some differences at extended ranges on smaller targets making wind call mistakes mean a little less. But, should you be shooting in high wind at extended ranges at flesh, blood and bone, I don't but maybe you would so do the math and look at the wind deflections, its the hardest thing to deal with by far.

So I think someone said early what are you looking for? A toy or a tool. What's important to you? Do you want or need the ammo availability of the 300 WIN? Do you want to shoot high BC bullets for better long range performance and like the SAAMI advantage of the PRC? The longer lead can obviously be achieved by and custom chambered rifle in any cartridge as the lead can be customized for any bullet as well as the choice of magazine you just may have poorer results from factory SAAMI ammo. If you have it in your head that you need to shoot the fastest thing going then you need to be a hand loader and pick one of the big wildcat 30s.

Personally if I was building a travel rifle I'd chose a 7mm REM Mag with an extended mag and extended lead length to maximize case space. It has reasonable recoil and all the ammo advantages of the 300 WIN with a huge choice of of high BC bullets to choose from. I like 7s so sue me. That was fun.
Hey vancewalkker
Looking at the major pluses and minuses, I'm sure I missed some.

The 300 WIN is definitely a great travel cartridge like some others 30-06, 270 WIN, 243 WIN, 308 WIN, 375 H&H etc. as far as ammo being available at the local gun store whether its in South Africa or Rifle Colorado. And typically cases are available from most retailers. The SAAMI length does not support long high BC bullets. You can load them but they will extend into the powder space to fit into the mag.. The case maintains the legacy belt portion, not a huge deal but its there.

The 30 Nosler gets rid of the belt, not a huge deal but it does, and has the same SAAMI length issue the 300 WIN does. The components ie. cases are higher in price than most. The SAAMI length does not support long high BC bullets. You can load them but they will extend into the powder space to fit into the mag.

The 300 Ultra has great acceptance in the US and you can likely find ammo at some gun stores. It also gets rid of the belt, not a huge deal but it does. The SAAMI length does not support long high BC bullets. You can load them but they will extend into the powder space to fit into the mag. It is known as a barrel burner and known to be tough to accurize some times. I cannot speak directly to these issues but they have been discussed ad nauseam.

The 300 PRC is the new kid on the block. Has a SAAMI spec length for long high BC bullets which means the magazines have to match the longer length and off the shelf ammo plus hand loads can take advantage of this feature. It also gets rid of the belt, not a huge deal but it does. Cases and loaded ammo are short in supply, but so is freaking everything right now. Sportsman's in AZ is out of everything, including 300 WIN.

The other "wildcat" 30s will mostly perform in the higher end of the ballistics range but all have the same issue I have with my 7mm LRM, small source choice for cases and higher than normal case price. I love my LRMs performance and hate it for the case issue. And if you think 300 PRC might be hard to find in Johannesburg then ... ;-)

In general if they are loaded similarly, ie. bullet base not past the neck should junction the performance between the 300 WIN, 30 Nos, 300 Ultra, and 300 PRC will be so close no critter will ever notice at normal hunting ranges. The wildcats will always be a little higher, performance wise, but still not a huge difference really. With all the ways to get range and correction for elevation super duper velocity performance is really a mute point these days. Higher BC + higher velocity will help cut wind deflection and can make some differences at extended ranges on smaller targets making wind call mistakes mean a little less. But, should you be shooting in high wind at extended ranges at flesh, blood and bone, I don't but maybe you would so do the math and look at the wind deflections, its the hardest thing to deal with by far.

So I think someone said early what are you looking for? A toy or a tool. What's important to you? Do you want or need the ammo availability of the 300 WIN? Do you want to shoot high BC bullets for better long range performance and like the SAAMI advantage of the PRC? The longer lead can obviously be achieved by and custom chambered rifle in any cartridge as the lead can be customized for any bullet as well as the choice of magazine you just may have poorer results from factory SAAMI ammo. If you have it in your head that you need to shoot the fastest thing going then you need to be a hand loader and pick one of the big wildcat 30s.

Personally if I was building a travel rifle I'd chose a 7mm REM Mag with an extended mag and extended lead length to maximize case space. It has reasonable recoil and all the ammo advantages of the 300 WIN with a huge choice of of high BC bullets to choose from. I like 7s so sue me. That was fun.
Hey vancewalker007, are you sure you don't subconsciously like the SAAMI?LOL😉

Theres a great article about this very dilemma on Rokslide.

I was going through this as well last year. Not sure why the 300 PRC is so great when its just a redesigned, better advertised 300wm. The whole belt debacle i think it largely overplayed. The 30 Nosler has identical case capacity as the 300 Weatherby with much better brass options and a more efficient powder column. With a longer throat for big bullets you can get ballistics close to a RUM and burn 20 grains of powder less per shot. Though all 3 you're comparing are relatively close and will equate to spinning a turret a few more or less clicks at distance.
My 30 Nosler that was just finished is pushing a 225 ELD-M at 2875 with a low pressure load and a new barrel and thats creating 4100ft/lbs at the muzzle.
So a new 300 weatherby

Hey vancewalkker

Hey vancewalker007, are you sure you don't subconsciously like the SAAMI?LOL😉
No I don't know what I would pick if I was wanting a 300 mag. I'm on a down sizing trend so I may never own one. I went to a 6.9 lb 6.5 PRC to replace my 10lb 7 LRM for my long range rifle. Same zoom less boom. The biggest advantage of a cartridge spec'd like the 300 PRC is the SAAMI setup for all around long range capability from both factory and hand loads. But frankly I don't think I'll ever build another long cartridge rifle. I have a 375 Ruger so I'm good on the short range slammer stuff and my little PRC can tackle everything else.

You will always find 300wm brass and if you dont you can find 458wm, 458lott, 300weatherby, 375h&h or 300h&h brass you can trim and neck.
Headspace on neck instead of belt and it should do the same job with more or less the same accuracy as any of the new cool ones.
If you get bored your just a barrelswap away from any other 375h&h offspring.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.