Which 30 cal?

I recommend the 30-06 for any hunting options up to elk, and at most reasonable shooting distances (defined as staying within your shooting capabilities to make an ethical kill). Target movement, angle of entry, line of sight, distance and other factors will all combine to mean you'll nearly always be shooting well within the potential range limits of the round. This makes the 30-06, with proper load and shot placement, comparable with the magnums in outcome on game under most hunting situations (and with noticeably less recoil). It may also be easier to obtain.

I have both 30 Nos and 300 PRC.
30N Nosler brass is a pain and expensive. The gun loves the Berger 215 HT.
The 300 PRC loves the 225 and 230 gr Hornady and Berger bullets. I use ADG brass for it.
For ease of use, the 300WM is the way to go. Ballistically, there is not much difference between the 3 out to 500 yards.

Having Oregon mountain rifle replace the barrel on my rem 700. Been looking at 300 prc but can't find brass for it. Should I go with 30 nosler or should I go 300 win mag?

i have a custom built 300WM. It has been a good one, but as the barrel wears out I'll be rechambering to 300 PRC. It is built to handle the longer high g7 BC bullets I like to shoot. It will also be nice to head space off the shoulder. Component availability I don't see as an issue. At the moment it's hard to find components for anything. The 300 PRC will surpass the WM in component availability soon as many companies are geared up to make brass. I think ADG makes the brass now. I think their brass is as good as anyone's.
Besides, no one is going to load for any cartridge without a primer.
Good luck on your decision. You will have an awesome rifle with any of those choices. Don't let today's component availability drive the decision you will live with for years.

For ease of use, the 300WM is the way to go. Ballistically, there is not much difference between the 3 out to 500 yards.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe the best response so far.

Which cartridge doesn't have ample energy to kill an elk at 500?
let's be real about this - an accurate gun with excess KE that fits well makes us all smile. the brass only holds the powder and grips the bullet. more powder is better to a point, but then suffers from diminishing returns (30-378 WB cough). AND there's no free lunch - recoil, cost, longevity all come into the equation. IMO if you want to shoot bullets heavier than 215grs, move up in caliber. The smack of the 33 cals is noticeably more.

If you look closely at the length of the cartridges, it will help clear the selection process very much. I don't know what the 300 PRC cartridge length is but they all have different lengths, the 300 Win Mag, Wtby Mag, etc. If you know the length of the PRC cartridge then go to https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/ and see what cartridge would be best. The 300 Win Mag cartridge is 2.62" but the range is quite extreme from that, some going down to 1.8". Just make sure your cartridge fits the chamber.

Having Oregon mountain rifle replace the barrel on my rem 700. Been looking at 300 prc but can't find brass for it. Should I go with 30 nosler or should I go 300 win mag?

I think I'd go with the .300 WIn Mag'.., there is a boatload of reasons, the available ammo, and components just being a few.

Theres a great article about this very dilemma on Rokslide.

I was going through this as well last year. Not sure why the 300 PRC is so great when its just a redesigned, better advertised 300wm. The whole belt debacle i think it largely overplayed. The 30 Nosler has identical case capacity as the 300 Weatherby with much better brass options and a more efficient powder column. With a longer throat for big bullets you can get ballistics close to a RUM and burn 20 grains of powder less per shot. Though all 3 you're comparing are relatively close and will equate to spinning a turret a few more or less clicks at distance.
My 30 Nosler that was just finished is pushing a 225 ELD-M at 2875 with a low pressure load and a new barrel and thats creating 4100ft/lbs at the muzzle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.