which .30 cal would you use to push the new berger 245gr

mort9687 No advice. I did not know such a bullet, 245 grain 300 cal, existed. I have both a 300 RUM and a 300 Wthby. Sounds like fun. Looking forward to reloading a few and seeing how they do.

Don't give up on the Weatherby. If your building a rifle anyway, why not improve the Weatherby case design to gain case capacity and change the radius shoulders to 40 degree? If done right, you can get the Weatherby case to hold 112 grains.:):cool:

Why not a 30 nosler throated properly? It should be around 3.82-3.9 I'm guessing..I haven't handled any 245's yet. Maybe a 300prc could be a slightly slower but good option too.

That bullet is so long I think to see it throated properly in the 300 rum/weatherby you'd be at least 4 inches... likely over? Im personally not interested in single shot hunting rifles. Im guessing sticking it far enough in the case to feed and function well will bring the performance very close to the 30 nosler.

For the record, I'm not bashing a 300 rum in any way. I love them. Had tons and will have more built im sure... great cartridge.

The issue I've been finding with the newest crazy high bc value bullets is the oacl is just too long when they are seated without taking up case volume

That's why the Norma was born . Similar performance in an OAL friendly package. I've got a 28" 9 twist Norma inbound and I'll definitely be trying the 245's , if they don't work I can always fall back on the lowly 215's and 230's .

How fast do you figure, and hows barrel life?

I have a 26" barrel and am set up as a repeater. My loads have come in at 5,000ftlbs +\- I'd figure 3050-3100 with what I have. Another 2-4" of barrel. I'd say between 3100-3200. I'm looking at 800-1000 shots. This is a strictly big game only rifle minus the occasional shot on a rock.

What's the problem with a belt, that's been beat to death.
The small ridge up to a few thousandths in front of the belt formed on first firing needs to be sized back down so it doesn't interfere with the chamber headspace ridge on every firing after resizing. Otherwise that ridge slams into the chamber headspace ridge causing unwanted barrel vibrations during barrel time. Accuracy is diminished a little. The Willis collet die fixes the problem sizing the case body next to the belt where regular dies don't. Use the collet die after a full length sizing bumped the fired case shoulder back a couple thousandths.

For the record, I'm not bashing a 300 rum in any way. I love them. Had tons and will have more built im sure... great cartridge.

The issue I've been finding with the newest crazy high bc value bullets is the oacl is just too long when they are seated without taking up case volume

It would be fine if you didn't like the rum, it's a free country.
I don't have any pics of the 245-only loaded the 230s. All I'm saying is that the rum with the additional mag length isn't reducing case capacity much with a 245. Candidly, I'm not sure the 245 isn't too much of a good thing. Law of diminishing returns.
With my 338 edge, I can run a 250 Berger about 3050-3100, without breaking a sweat.

No but the point of dimenishing returns is still appropriate for discussion..
It's kinda like running the 195's at hyper speeds from huge cased 7mm's, at some point it just makes more sense to move up in caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.