Which .284 build?

But the .280 AI does sound a lot sexier and has inherent accuracy and is purportedly easy to tune and you can buy production brass and or ammunition. What's not to like?

Like I said, it's all about personal preference. 280AI is great. But I'd build a 7WSM before a 280AI with his current line up considered. Regardless, the 7mag he already has will be so close to either of the others it boils down to what is wanted. 7WSM is even more versatile than the AI, plus the #5 tube is better suited for the WSM in my opinion.

Not really. There's not a game animal in NA that one works better over the other. The 2 are virtually identical when it comes to throwing lead into the lungs of an animal at the avg hunting distance where one would use either the 280 or the 270 or even the 280AI. It's really all about personal preference.
Truer words were never spoken

I have the 270 and 280. I'm only partial to the 270 for 2 main reasons. 1. First deer caliber I ever owned, and 2. I've killed more game with it than anything else and it has never let me down. I'm sure I'd feel the same if the 280 was my first deer rifle.
Only if the .280 originated back about the same time as the .270! The .270 is a classic! it is why it was your first deer caliber and why you still have it - Classic

In terms of popularity, resale to the avg hunter, and factory ammo availability, if you have a 270 and 280, the 280 is the one to scrap.
Again the .270 has higher resale and is easier to sell because it is a Classic and the reason you would not do the build with it! The .30-06 and the 7RM also falls in that definition - and is a reason to hang on to them in their current state

Build a .280 AI with the new barrel and accumulate the rest of the parts to complete the new rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.