Which .284 build?

Since I have dies, brass & bullets for all, I think I will follow this path. This will eliminate leaving me with a set of "spare" dies & parts that won't have a need
Thanks for the advice.
You could always sell your .280 dies on here or ebay, and then use the money for .280 AI dies. Other than the dies, all the rest of your components will be the same. :cool:

You could always sell your .280 dies on here or ebay, and then use the money for .280 AI dies. Other than the dies, all the rest of your components will be the same. :cool:

Or if he decided on the AI, he could send the 280 dies along and the smith could use the reamer to recut the dies too!

Or if he decided on the AI, he could send the 280 dies along and the smith could use the reamer to recut the dies too!

I think you have to use a sizing die reamer for dies, and those are another $95+. It would be cheaper than a set of dies if the smith already had the die reamer. Or he could send them to the die manufacturer and have them do it, but I'm not sure how much that would cost? Might be cheaper than new dies. The Redding non-bushing 280 AI dies are about $85.00 for a set. The RCBS dies are between $55.00-$145 depending on which dies you go with.

It's all in what he decides to do and which route is cheaper.

I hunt in South Carolina as well. I have a Hart on my 7 mag and 600 yds will be a chip shot. No big deal at all. I use the 162 Amax with excellent results. Stick with the 7 mag and all will be fine. Don't make it complicated :)

I will be in SC Nov 2-9 hunting with my brother. I am taking my 6.5-284 and 270. Both shooting Bergers, 140 and 150 VLDs respectively. I've not killed anything with either yet. I hope to hit the range this coming weekend with the 6.5. I have a set load for the 270.

So I could use the 280rem brass I have on hand (approx. 500 new brass) for 280AI chamber?

Is there that much more performance in the 280AI over 280?

Also, since I already have the new .284 barrel and decided to get a new M700 action in lieu of using one of the 3 I have, should I consider something in .284 Short action as opposed to the 280/280AI?

Just want a new .284 rifle I suppose... short or long, and not real familiar with all the chamberings. Again, deer & 500 gongs max

So I could use the 280rem brass I have on hand (approx. 500 new brass) for 280AI chamber?

Is there that much more performance in the 280AI over 280?

Also, since I already have the new .284 barrel and decided to get a new M700 action in lieu of using one of the 3 I have, should I consider something in .284 Short action as opposed to the 280/280AI?

Just want a new .284 rifle I suppose... short or long, and not real familiar with all the chamberings. Again, deer & 500 gongs max
Yes, but if your smith has a newer SAAMI spec reamer, you will need to run the .280 brass through your sizing die to knock that shoulder back .014", before you load them. This way they will fit snugly in the chamber for fire-forming, and won't be too long. Then after you shoot them that one time, you're fireformed and ready to go.

Personally I don't like short magnums. Just my personal preference.

As for short-action non-magnum calibers, I have a 7mm-08, and have since I was probably 10 or 12, but it's not my first choice in caliber for whitetails. When I was 16 I moved up to a 7RM and never looked back, and the 7mm-08 has pretty much sat in the closet and collected dust since then. I would think you would be much happier with the standard .280 Rem or the .280 AI over a 7mm-08.

I will be in SC Nov 2-9 hunting with my brother. I am taking my 6.5-284 and 270. Both shooting Bergers, 140 and 150 VLDs respectively. I've not killed anything with either yet. I hope to hit the range this coming weekend with the 6.5. I have a set load for the 270.

I will be in SC the same dates.

if you could share, what is your set load for 270? Is it a factory M700?
I have been trying to develop a load as well.

I will be in SC the same dates.

if you could share, what is your set load for 270? Is it a factory M700?
I have been trying to develop a load as well.

Hope I don't come across as anything but being honest and sincere but I don't shoot factory rifles. Once I had some tricked out hunting rifles I said to myself, no more factory fodder.

I'd have to check my notebook because it has been awhile since I loaded them but it is a topped out hot load of H4831SC with the 150 VLD at 3050. No pressure signs and out of 5 groups, 3 shots each I hit mostly in the 0.4s at 100 yards, some were tighter but for where I will be, that load will work on the distance I will be looking at.

Primer: 210M, brass: Winchester, bullet is seated exactly 0.010 off the lands. I'm not sure of the location in SC but my brother lives in Lexington and I think he said all hunting places are within 1 hour of his home.

Not really. There's not a game animal in NA that one works better over the other. The 2 are virtually identical when it comes to throwing lead into the lungs of an animal at the avg hunting distance where one would use either the 280 or the 270 or even the 280AI. It's really all about personal preference.

I have the 270 and 280. I'm only partial to the 270 for 2 main reasons. 1. First deer caliber I ever owned, and 2. I've killed more game with it than anything else and it has never let me down. I'm sure I'd feel the same if the 280 was my first deer rifle.

In terms of popularity, resale to the avg hunter, and factory ammo availability, if you have a 270 and 280, the 280 is the one to scrap.

Lets look at production ammunition performance figures (same powder and barrel lengths) - most from Hornaday, the .280 AI from Nosler and take comparable bullet weights (most sst's). Remember this is only for comparison purposes

Remember initially the idea was to shot SC deer at 200 yards and gongs out to 500/600 yards. HighBoard has a .300WM for gongs at longer distance. He wasn't building a LR or ELR rifle.

7-08 139 gr --- 2950 f/s
.270 140 gr --- 3090 f/s
.280 139 gr --- 3090 f/s
.280 AI 140 gr --- 3160/3190 f/s
.280 AI 150 gr --- 3060
7 RM 140 gr --- 3240
7 RM 154 gr --- 3100
.30-06 150 gr --- 3080
.300WM 150 gr --- 3400
.300WM 180 gr --- 3130

And one can get production ammo for all of them if necessary, not that was one of the initial goals but when used for hunting is not a bad scenario... admittedly you probably won't find Nosler .280 AI at your local walmart.

He has a .270, 7 RM, .30-06, .300 WM; He has a .284 Shilen match SS #5 barrel and would like to build a new rifle.

The possibilities are: 7-.08, .280 remington, .280 Ackley Improved, .284 winchester, 7 WSM (very close to the same performance as the 7RM), 7 RUM. But he was looking for something to fill the nitch between the .270 and the 7RM.

It is kind of looking like the only one that really qualifies is the .280 AI unless he was to go for slightly less performance with good acuracy such as the 7-.08. But the .280 AI does sound a lot sexier and has inherent accuracy and is purportedly easy to tune and you can buy production brass and or ammunition. What's not to like?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.