Which .284 build?

Oh, and FWIW, even after owning several 270s, 1 30.06, and a couple of 7mags, I did go ahead and build a 280 Remington also with a Shilen barrel that I got a smoking deal on. I do love it too. Once again, that rifle shot the break-in loads so well, I just used them all last year for hunting. The load is completely unremarkable. Shooting the 150 btip over VV N160 or 165 at only 2750. Sure kills deer though.

To hit on the 280 AI again. I took a old 700 action, trued and b.prin. brux #3 cont. 1:9 bedded in a b&c Alaskan stock and a worked over trigger cost me less then 1800.00 for all components and smith work by Ray Montgomery. Broke barrel in quick, worked a load with nosler brass, ended up .5 inch groups at 200 yards with 61.9 grains of h4841 sc, f210m, 150 gn. LRAB's seated .002 off lands. Took two days, I'm in love! Rifle weighs 8 lbs.

I wouldn't sacrifice anything. I would use the action from the 7 mag and have it chambered back in 7mag but with a longer throat, you already have everything to load for it and its a great round....why change if your max range is only 600? I regularly shoot a standard 7mag out to 800y with ease on a factory sporter barrel. with that good barrel it would be a tack driver.

I wouldn't sacrifice anything. I would use the action from the 7 mag and have it chambered back in 7mag but with a longer throat, you already have everything to load for it and its a great round....why change if your max range is only 600? I regularly shoot a standard 7mag out to 800y with ease on a factory sporter barrel. with that good barrel it would be a tack driver.

Looks like the majority is to use my factory m700 7mm mag to rebarrel, which was my original thought.

But, for some reason I just can't get past the idea that re-barreling back to a 7mm mag is overkill for SC deer (max 200yds) and 600 max gongs. I already have a custom 300WM for the longer gongs. This is why I was thinking the 280.

I actually bought the 7mm mag (walmart shelf), just for the 280 build.
But got to thinking the 280 was just a very small "gap filler" between my 270 & 30-06, so maybe I should use one of those since they are so close......

It might appear that it only boils down to the using the 270 or 7mm mag. (30-06 is just too much of a classic not to have in the stable?).

Dang these decisions...

Bolt face is not a concern, I can rework it.

Selecting which of the 3 m700 actions is my biggest dilema...

I'm curious, because I don't know how it's done, but how is the bolt face reworked to accommodate the smaller diameter?

I'm curious, because I don't know how it's done, but how is the bolt face reworked to accommodate the smaller diameter?

You can fill-weld (TIG) and recut the bolt face, but it's a biotch. It would be easier just to buy a PTG standard bolt body, or buy a used bolt on ebay or online.

Use the best action of the .270 and 30-06. Sell the two remaining rifles for $$ to fund the rest of the build.

Since you have a long action, go with the .280 AI

I love the 7mmWSM and your long action would work but short is my favotitelightbulb

It is obvious that you don't need a new rifle/caliber for shooting SC deer at 200 yards or shooting gongs at 100 to 600 yards.

The .270 is perfect for shooting SC deer out to 200 yards and farther if need be. I believe one of our members here was shooting deer and elk with a rebarreled (tighter twist) .270 at 800/900 yards with the new matrix heavier long bullets. And like the other three calibers you have anyone of them would probably ring gongs to 600 yards unless none of them are accurate enough.

From the sounds of it, you just want to build a new rifle in .280 caliber. I would suggest just building it from parts as your finances allow, pick up an action when you see one for the right price in the classifieds or else where, as well as finding a stock the same way. Don't destroy or take apart any of the classic caliber model 700 Remington rifles you already have. The .270, .30-06 and the 7RM are all classics with readily obtained over the counter ammunition if necessary.

To me it is obvious that you need to build a 4th rifle ... and build it from parts other then your current rifles. You don't need a .280 immediately such as for your SC deer hunt, as any of the other rifles will fill the niches you want for the short term. But you want a new .280 so take the time, buy parts as they become available and get her done in 6 months to a year as finances and time permit.

If I use the 7mm Mag, I will install a Sako extractor along with a bushing. The bushing will be used to go from .540 (7mm mag) to .470 (280 rem).

Little bit of mill / lathe work, but that's all part of installing the Sako anyways.

If I went with 270/30-06 I doubt I would install the Sako extractor.

It is obvious that you don't need a new rifle/caliber for shooting SC deer at 200 yards or shooting gongs at 100 to 600 yards.

agree

From the sounds of it, you just want to build a new rifle in .280 caliber. Bingo! I would suggest just building it from parts as your finances allow, pick up an action when you see one for the right price in the classifieds or else where, as well as finding a stock the same way. Don't destroy or take apart any of the classic caliber model 700 Remington rifles you already have. The .270, .30-06 and the 7RM are all classics with readily obtained over the counter ammunition if necessary.

Thats pretty sound advice

To me it is obvious that you need to build a 4th rifle ... of course, just can't live without it...!! and build it from parts other then your current rifles. You don't need a .280 immediately such as for your SC deer hunt, as any of the other rifles will fill the niches you want for the short term. But you want a new .280 so take the time, buy parts as they become available and get her done in 6 months to a year as finances and time permit.

Since I have dies, brass & bullets for all, I think I will follow this path. This will eliminate leaving me with a set of "spare" dies & parts that won't have a need
Thanks for the advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.