Votes: 31 20.1%
  • 6.5 Sherman Short

Votes: 34 22.1%
  • 6.5 WSM

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 38 24.7%

• Total voters
We have several .260s since it was introduced and will always have at least one for hunting and one for target. GREAT Cartridge!
In fact to get off of the subject of .264 the .308 is a great case that started the .243, .260, & 7mm08. All GREAT cartridges. Other manufactures try to copy.

Last edited:
Yes so many options and other choices. I want a fast rifle- relatively flat trajectory makes holding over easier if no time to dial, and a good BC on the bullet for wind which is always unpredictable in the mts. Also I prefer shorter compact rifles for packing in especially through the alders.

the WSM seems to be the fastest, but not very popular on the poll

the 6.5 wsm isn't as popular for a couple reasons. 1st is it really needs a mid length action to take advantage of the extra capacity, a properly set up 6.5 saum or the Sherman will meet or exceed the wsm in a short action. 2nd is brass all the others have high quality brass available, the wsm is suppose to have ADG brass at years end.
one other consideration is the extra capacity of the wsm is lost with short barrels and slow powders needed for the heavy high bc bullets.

If your only wanting to kill out to 500 yards( it's still a long shot, especially depending on conditions) then any will work. Faster is fine tho. But I'd say use a 6.5 saum or prc with midweight hammer bullets running really fast if ya wanna get fancy. If you wanna do easy button, 260 or the creed will sure do it all, with elds , Berger's or hammers for starters.

Boring ol' 260 Rem...kills everything on your list with no drama or issues (brass issues, clearance issues)
260 is a great cartridge but unfortunately, one that probably requires a LA if using heavier bullets needed for the longer shots on big animals. May get away with 120-130s with it. I think mine with the 140 class bullet runs over 3". Wyatt's box mag would make it work tho. Works with 3.100" rounds.

260 is a great cartridge but unfortunately, one that probably requires a LA if using heavier bullets needed for the longer shots on big animals. May get away with 120-130s with it. I think mine with the 140 class bullet runs over 3". Wyatt's box mag would make it work tho. Works with 3.100" rounds.
Good point. I built mine on a long action and don't have issues, your results may vary...

I ended up going PRC with mine, mostly because of available brass and dies...but there is no wrong choice! That is the beauty and the curse.

My buddy got me on the 140 Elite Hunters, he has taken 6 cow elk with them from his SAUM and mine shoots them extremely well...but since they are hard to find maybe the 156 EOL or 143 ELD-X. Whatever you can find.

I ended up going PRC with mine, mostly because of available brass and dies...but there is no wrong choice! That is the beauty and the curse.

My buddy got me on the 140 Elite Hunters, he has taken 6 cow elk with them from his SAUM and mine shoots them extremely well...but since they are hard to find maybe the 156 EOL or 143 ELD-X. Whatever you can find.
Any issue reloading your prc? Reading people's issues with dies and chambers has me hesitant on scooping one up

Any issue reloading your prc? Reading people's issues with dies and chambers has me hesitant on scooping one up

The first time I shot my virgin brass, it left little swipe marks from caming the bolt closed. Not really a big deal. The next box of 50 I full length sized before I fired and no issues. About to finish up my last few 3x fired ADG brass, still holding on strong.

I don't get any pressure signs until well over ~3330 fps with both the 124HH and 127 LRX. I shoot the 140 Elite Hunters about 3100 fps. All three bullets will consistently shoot 3 shot groups sub 0.4" at 100y.

The only thing I don't like about the rifle is the all in weight (8 lb 4oz), definitely wish it was lighter.

*EDIT* - Here is what I have / use:
CA Mesa
Redding Premium Dies
ADG Brass