• 6.5 Sherman Short

Votes: 34 22.1%
  • 6.5 WSM

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 38 24.7%

• Total voters

wildwilderness

I have a Rem 700 SA mag bolt and a 20" proof carbon barrel. Prefer to hunt with no brake or suppressor. Looking to make a compact mountain rifle for Alaska sheep and goats mainly, occasionally a caribou or deer out to 500 yds.

Which bullet?

I voted 6.5WSM. I was building a 6.5SAUM with a 35° shoulder, but wait times on a barrel blank, reamer, dies and even brass have put that aside for now and it is far easier (for me) to build on a WSM case at this time. YMMV.
As to bullets, in both of my rifles, 6.5x47 Lapua and 264WM's are running 142g ABLR.
My Win Model 70 EW just stabilises them sufficiently.
My custom Rem 700, 29" barrel 1:8" twist is set up for the 156g Berger….can't find any, so it too is running 142g ABLR.
Another good 140g class bullet is the Accubond or Berger Hybrid Hunter.

Cheers.

for simplicity do the 6.5 SAUM has available brass and dies, pretty straight forward. the prc is ok but has the clearance issues.
if wildcats are your thing neck down the 6.8 western case it will make a poor mans 6.5 Sherman max and is also pretty straight forward.
the 6.5 wsm has brass availability issues and oal is just to long for a short action unless you add a lot of modifications

If youre not looking to use a brake or suppressor I'd shelve the carbon barrel and just get a normal steel sporter barrel. Much cheaper and you can probably save a few ounces there too. I'd only spring for carbon if I needed lightweight and a can. YMMV

What do you mean by" has clearance issues"? Just curious as I'm looking to add a 6.5 PRC to my stable, and will be reloading for it.

Thanks
I've built two with a .145 freebore one a bartlein 1.75 twist the other a proof 1.8 twist no issues what so ever guess it depends how you build it I shoot 123 gr hammers 3400 plus and 131 gr 3200 fps

the 6.5 PRC has dozens of treads about the bolt click issues which is just a clearance issue at the .200 line on the reamer.
if you run reasonable reloads or factory it is not a problem. hotter reloads and ADG brass seem to make the problem worse

6.5SS if you don't mind the brass work or buying the new adg/Sherman brass.
6.5saum for simplicity.
140 hvld or 156eol would be my bullets of choice.