Which .264 cal to run 156 Berger’s

The 264 mag is the way to go. Mine is built on a ERA P14 action with a 26 in Hart barrel with 1:8 twist. Will push a 160 Matrix to 2850 fps and hold 1/2 group at 100 yards. I currently have a 6.5 X 55 that I am going to ream out to a Ackley Improved and see if it will shoot.

We've built 2 26 Noslers shooting the 156s and one is shooting an easy load at 3215 and the other we ran all the way up to 3400. Killed deer with both this year and man they do some damage. Both have 27 inch barrels and using boron nitride coating on the 156s. Used both Norma and Nosler brass for testing.

Do they just bounce off at 351 yards?

I've never quite understood specific yardage limits other than if accuracy, impact velocity and KE needs aren't to be met
Of course not, I wouldn't put myself in a situation to take a less than "perfect " shot. The last couple of years I've seen a lot of wounded Elk. To small caliber to far away. Mostly hit in the hind quarters. One spike hit 3 times ( don't know who buy). But when my buddy put him down we found the 3 Bullets.

Of course not, I wouldn't put myself in a situation to take a less than "perfect " shot. The last couple of years I've seen a lot of wounded Elk. To small caliber to far away. Mostly hit in the hind quarters. One spike hit 3 times ( don't know who buy). But when my buddy put him down we found the 3 Bullets.
I feel the same way about to small of a Caliber for large game . It doesn't even cross my mind using one on Elk !
I'm a 338 type of a guy !
20190803_123314.jpg

I'm looking to add another gun and the main requirement is the 156 Berger's as my bullet. My question is what do you feel the most efficient cartridge is for that bullet? It will be my lightweight deer rifle and elk rifle for the wife. Already decided on a NX8 for the glass
6.5 RSAUM would be my choice. Even in a 20" barrel you should be able to get 2900 plus FPS easy. That would be a short, light, accurate rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts