Which .264 cal to run 156 Berger’s

I run the 156 in my 6.5 saum. My load is right at 3000 FPS and it is a fairly mild load. My barrel is a proof 24" 8 twist and it shoots well. My limitation is the brass. The hornady seems to be a little soft, thought about trying the Bertram but I don't have a whole lot of places to stretch it out around here

Why limit it to 6.5? If you are trying to launch a heavy bullet at very high velocity to deliver big energy on target at long range, you are getting outside of the parameters in which the 6.5 shines. 140gr 6.5 at 2700-3000 fps is a ballistic perfect storm for accuracy at distance. However it does not deliver moose and elk dropping energy at distance. The 6.5CM is a long range target cartridge and an amazing paper puncher at long distances with minimal recoil. Bullets larger than 140 gr move outside of those perfect storm parameters. Why not just use any number of larger caliber, already proven cartridges to launch heavier bullets at high velocity?

6.5 and 156 Berger simply because it is what the OP is asking. Also, moose is not in his and wife's list to hunt and perhaps they already have other chamberings that meet your recommendation. The 6.5 CM is not on the OP's list ...

I agree, cm is not an option for me. 6.5 prc, 26 nosler, 264 wm, etc

156 propelled at the 3100+ FPS range is no slouch (~1500 FT-LBS at 800 yards). There are guys here that are dropping elk with 140s and 156s in the 1K yards with it.

With Rich's example of his wildcat's capability example below ...

6.5 Sherman Max up to 3250'

It's ~ 1500 FT-LBS at 900 yards.

Definitely no slouch. Chambering is a matter of personal choice/preference.

Cheers!

I have a bunch of 6.5s. A couple 6.5x47lapuas and 6.5-284s. For a bullet that heavy I really like the 6.5WSM. I use 270 WSM Norma brass which is excellent. Enough capacity to shoot whatever I want but not extremely overbore. I shoot 140s around 3250 because that's the most accurate. The 156 I shoot at 3,100. Again, because that's where it's was accurate. As mentioned above, it's a personal choice.

FEENIX went through the process I usually do when thinking of a new round. I see what I want to kill at what range and then see what the energy will be at that range with a given bullet. Adjusting the speed until I get there. Then at least you know the speed requirements. That limits the cartridges down to a few. For me, my main deer and elk gun needs to be lite so I look for SA first. SAUM - Sherman Shorts. If they couldn't give me what I needed then I'd look at the WBY and Nosler or other wildcats.

FEENIX went through the process I usually do when thinking of a new round. I see what I want to kill at what range and then see what the energy will be at that range with a given bullet. Adjusting the speed until I get there. Then at least you know the speed requirements. That limits the cartridges down to a few. For me, my main deer and elk gun needs to be lite so I look for SA first. SAUM - Sherman Shorts. If they couldn't give me what I needed then I'd look at the WBY and Nosler or other wildcats.

Yep! Even though I have larger caliber/chambering, the .300 WM (loaded with heavies) remains my go-to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards.

Much depends on the distance she is planning on shooting and the velocity where the 156 maintains efficiency. If you are planning to stay within 500 yards or so the 260 or CM will work well. The PRC/SAUM/Sherman/WSM will get you an additional 2-3 hundred additional yards (750 for elk/1000 for deer). Since you are planning on something light weight the 260 or CM may be a good option.

Why limit it to 6.5? If you are trying to launch a heavy bullet at very high velocity to deliver big energy on target at long range, you are getting outside of the parameters in which the 6.5 shines. 140gr 6.5 at 2700-3000 fps is a ballistic perfect storm for accuracy at distance. However it does not deliver moose and elk dropping energy at distance. The 6.5CM is a long range target cartridge and an amazing paper puncher at long distances with minimal recoil. Bullets larger than 140 gr move outside of those perfect storm parameters. Why not just use any number of larger caliber, already proven cartridges to launch heavier bullets at high velocity?
My 6.5cm likes the 147 elbm's, 1500 yards milk jug .

Because this was a 6.5 research

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.