Which 260 Remington reamer

Richard Teague

Getting ready to ream a barrel and I notice 4H has two variations, the standard 260 Rem reamer and the 6.5 Smack which is the 260 with a 1.5 degree lead angle. Is one better than the other?

My opinion on lead angle is that it only really correlates with the bullet being used.

Dan Lilja ran a number of test on this topic which i believe are still posted on his site.

His idea was to see if there were accuracy improvements in matching lead angles to the angle of tangency on the ogive of a given bullet.

I believe in recent years, the shallower angles are preferred for less of a pressure spike from lower engraving force and more potential for higher MV's. 1.5 deg is very common these days on most reamers.

Dont quote me but I think Roy Weatherby was one of the pioneers of this, of course coupled with large amounts of free bore and slow twist. He knew early on that speed sells.

Basically you want the bullet to enter the barrel straight.

If the ogive tangency and lead angles match, the bullet will want center up well.

With shallow angles the bullet can get a little crooked as it enters the rifling.

The differences are minor. With straight, concentric, ammo and seating close to the rifling, its a moot point.

I would at least call the reamer maker and see what bullet styles work best with those 2 reamers. If they have 2 reamers, they should know. Then you could understand reamer/bullet correlation and decide from there. Mainly based on, "I plan on shooting this bullet a whole bunch more than that bullet"

Well I thought the barrel was short chambered but it turns out it chambers factory ammo with just a small amount of resistance. It shoots pretty good also with some very old Remington 140 gr. factory ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.